⪻ ≪ VIII ≫ ꧁ 𝙾𝚙𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜 ꧂ ⪼

「"𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘰𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘭𝘦𝘧𝘵."」
- 𝘏𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘉𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬

✧----------------✧----------------✧

Liz stared at Y/n in disbelief.

"I'm Sorry.. If I had reacted sooner, the shop might still be standing." Y/n slightly bowed, apologetic.

"You really don't have to do that! Ehh.. I'm the one who's sorry!!!" Liz insisted, "I shouldn't have left you all by yourself on your first day..!"

'She did what now-' Hawks slightly narrowed his eyes, glancing at Liz. That day wasn't even Y/n's official first day. That day was supposed to be training.

Liz walked up to Y/n and hugged her, "I'm glad you're safe now!"

"Please forgive me, I'm so sorry.." she said, squeezing y/n tightly.

Y/n patted her back, slightly uncomfortable, "It's fine. I'm fine. You couldn't have known." She reassured.

Though, In fact, she was not fine. She was scared shitless because of what had happened. She could still feel, hear and see the gunshots, the flames, the villains screams, the fear and the pain, all of it, so visually. But she couldn't let Liz know that.

Liz was a kind person. She'd always been considerate of Y/n, even in primary school. But Y/n wasn't stupid. She had always known that Liz never acted out of pure sincerity. And Y/n knew, deep in Liz's heart, she regrets ever trying to help her out.

A few police officers walked up to them, "Excuse us, Miss? We are aware of your current position, but would you mind answering some questions?", One officer asked nervously.

"You stay here, I'll handle this." Liz stated, walking towards the policemen.

As she walked away, Y/n sighed, 'What is she even gonna say. She wasn't even here when everything happened-'

Y/n glanced back at the destroyed building. She couldn't really point out what she was feeling. She was sad, of course, but there was something else. Was it anger? Guilt? Fear? Or perhaps something entirely different.. In that moment, most of it got suppressed by a wave of numbness either way.

Though, she knew that she wouldn't be able to take on those emotions as soon as she took the time to actually think about them.

"Ahem." Hawks cleared his throat, reminding Y/n of his presence. Both of their eyes fixated on the ruins "So. That was your friend?" he asked.

Y/n nodded, "Something like that."

"Are you close?" he continued asking.

"We used to be."

He slightly shifted his gaze towards her, "Does this place have some deep meaning or something? Was this job so important?", He asked out of the blue.

She gave him a confused look, "Why'd you ask that?"

"I heard that it's your first day, I get that you're upset, but judging by the way you look at the building, you seem to be more concerned about that, than the actual position you're in."

"What about you then?" She asked, still not looking at him.

He raised an eyebrow and smirked slightly, "What do you mean?"

"You're looking at it the same way I am."

He paused for a moment. It's odd that she noticed, he was very good at maintaining his unbothered and calm expression. He smiled.