3; my heavy heart cannot hold its weight

Around 4 hours later, my shift was over. I looked around for Rio, but to no avail, he was nowhere to be found. The cafe was practically empty now - and it was trashed. The night was crazy - full of new artists and families trying to make the most of their Sunday night.

A few hours earlier, Asher had driven Carm home. I appreciate him - he seems to take care of Carm more than she does for herself. I think that's the type of love she deserves. Sometimes I wish I had somebody to take care of me like that. I never knew what actually happened between the two to where they aren't officially together, but at the same time, I never cared to pry. All I knew was that it really destroyed her.

With that, I picked up my stuff and started heading over to the door. The night was significantly colder, with a hint of that October breeze that seemed to signify the beginning of Fall. I rubbed my hands together and stuffed them in my white wool sweater.

"Long night?" Rio's voice echoed through the empty, dark parking lot. He was smoking a cigarette, then offered it to me. I ignored the question, soon inhaling and dragging the cancer stick. He then noticed my shivering and wrapped his blazer around me.

"With you, not long enough," I smiled at him. My heart felt warm and full when I had fully comprehended that concept that he had waited for my whole shift for me. He then picked up a white bag that sat on the edge of the garden. It was ice cream, in a cone pushed into a cup, and he pulled out one for me and one for him.

"I didn't know what flavor you like, so I got chocolate. I hope that's okay," he said as he handed it towards me.

"It's more than okay."

After that, we found ourselves walking down the streets of Gainseville. It was truly a city that never sleeps. Coffee shops were open all night, parks were full of groups of friends - either getting high or having late-night conversations that they'd never forget.

"So, you live with your sister?" He asked as he started licking his strawberry sorbet.

"Pretty much."

"That must have its positives?"

"Not really."

"Are she and Asher a thing?"

"They were." Rio looked defeated. I knew he was probably getting bored of my lack of interest.

"You're a very good conversationalist, you know that?" he spoke with a sad tone. I took a bite out of my ice cream that was practically melted all over the cone. At this very moment, I hated who I was. The dominating pessimist inside me made me truly despise this world. It's the very reason why I can't wait to get out of this town.

"It's not that. I really do enjoy your company. I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed. Most guys don't last this long with me. Something about my cynicism," I explained as he nodded. Maybe it's the weight of the world. My heavy heart cannot hold its weight. He combed his long sandy blonde hair behind his ears.

"There's so much hurt in this world, but it doesn't mean you succumb to it," He remarked as he looked down at my liquid ice cream dripping all the way down my wrists. "Oh, it looks like you've got something right there." He pointed at my cheek with the hand he held his ice cream in, subsequently pushing his cone onto my cheek.

"Hey!" I said quickly.

"See, the world is not so bad, right? There are little things that can make you smile - and I'm glad I'm one of them." I smiled to myself, wiping his sorbet off my cheek. Sometimes I wish I had real emotions like a normal person. Sometimes I wish I could be like my sister - full of so much life and love.

However, before I could continue to think, I heard the bass of a stereo off in the distance. Rio and I simultaneously looked at each other. Down the tree contoured road was a small party. It overlooked a little lake down in the swamps.

"Let's go," I said, a smile threatening at my lips. He didn't even take a second to agree - before I knew it, we were on our way.

It was a dark, somber night, lit by a waxing crescent in the sky. The cold wind blew gently - but, I didn't mind it. I wanted an adventure, something to stray away from this monotonous life... I can't complain.

It looked like some sort of wedding - a small one, of course. Everyone was jumping around on the dance floor - as they were playing some fast-beat jazz music. Rio and I snuck in and threw away our ice cream cones.

We sprinted on the dance floor and automatically attached ourselves to one another. It was practically natural. The grips he had on my hands were tightened, assuring I wouldn't slip away from him.

"Moon River" by Audrey Hepburn soon started playing. It was a slow song - at first we didn't know what to do. It was ad if we were both making decisions off of one another - spontaneously. I suddenly felt shy and reserved. It's not like I know how to slow dance. However, Rio seemed to notice this.

"Dance with me," He said abruptly, I raised my eyebrows. He smiled - he was undeniably resolute and unswerving. I bashfully extended my hand out to his and nodded.

He wrapped his steady arms around my waist, pulling me in close - close enough for me to feel the hitch of his breath through his chest. I had to stay calm. We swayed to the music, our sweaty hands virtually interwoven like strands of yarn in the midst of the making of quilt. I rested my head on his chest. It was a comfortable feeling - well, until I realized what time it was.

"I've got to get back home, you know, to make sure Carm is okay," I said slowly.

"Of course," Rio consented and we began walking back to my apartment. It was only a 5-minute walk away, and we got back in complete silence - both basically awestruck from the events that had just taken place.

Once I got to my door, he looked up at me. He looked so gentle - so sensitive to the world, a type of naivety I could never understand.

"I'll see you around," I said softly as the midnight breeze flew through our hair. The trees surrounding my home swayed in the wind. He nodded then walked away, deep into the darkness of this lonely night.