4; i'm tired of listening

The next day I woke up to Carmen's beady, leering eyes. It was practically dusk outside - I hated sleeping in all day like this. But, sometimes it just happens.

"I'm afraid of beginnings," she said randomly. I fluttered my eyes open to watch her pace around my room. "Haven't you noticed that I watch the same movies over and over, reread the same books, and stick to my routine as if my life depends on it?" I squinted at her, not actually comprehending her choice of conversation. "When you start something new, you're vulnerable."

"Did you sleep with Asher or something?" I joked with a light chuckle. She obviously didn't appreciate that remark as she shot me a rude side-eye.

"I'd rather play it safe and be unhappy in this endless cycle of he likes me, he likes me not. Beginnings are full of hope. And I'm not ready to be let down again," she sighed. The topic of Asher was always a difficult one with her.

"Love shouldn't be so difficult with you," I huffed, watching a strand of hair fly up into the air.

"I'm tired of listening, shouldn't you be at work by now?" She spoke rudely.

I then glanced quickly over to the clock on the desk and it read 6:00 pm - I was supposed to be at work an hour ago. I suddenly felt my chest get heavy as the realization of the scowl on Rick's face lacerated my brain. I then pushed myself off the bed and slipped on a white t-shirt with some rolled-up blue jeans - subsequently tying my now well-fitting apron around my waist.

"Hopefully he won't kill me," I sighed as I looked down at the wood floor with a despondent frown.

"He's the biggest River Phoenix fan. If he knows what's good for him, he won't mess with you," she said with a crooked smile. I rolled my eyes.

~

It was raining outside, but it wasn't a nice kind of rain. It was the humid kind of rain that made you feel moist. And I hate the word moist. My hair now drooped down, dripping wet. And in no time it became a big, frizzy mess. Just this alone already put me in a bad mood.

Once I had arrived at THE HARDBACK CAFE, it wasn't as crowded as last night. I stood at the entrance contemplating If I really wanted to go in and deal with my manager, but I reminded myself I needed money and started trudging my way in. I looked up to notice Asher, Rick, and Rio all grouped together at the bar. I took in a deep breath.

"You're late," Rick said. I nodded and pulled out my server sheet. - hoping desperately to come up with some sort of excuse.

"It's my fault, Rick. I kept her out late last night. Just, don't get mad at her, please," Rio spoke quickly, giving me a quick glance. I sucked in my cheeks, narrowing my eyes at him. It agitated me when he pulled little tricks like these.

"Just this time, Amoreena."

"It won't happen again," I lied through my teeth and Rick nodded, then walked into the kitchen.

I'm always late to work. If I'm ever early my coworkers start to ask if something's wrong. But, with that said, I never get in trouble... that's what doesn't make sense - as to why Rick suddenly wanted to time me walking in. Maybe it's the fact that I'm an hour late instead of my usual 30.Doesn't matter really.

I smiled at unsuspecting Asher then grabbed Rio's hand, leading him over the other side of the room.

"You've got to stop with this whole 'saving' me thing. I don't need to be saved," I said contemptuously, crossing my arms. At this precise moment, I noticed how much he towered over me. I was 5'3" to his 5'11". He wore a dark blazer and some circle glasses. He pursed his lips.

"I'm not trying to save you this time. I'm just trying to keep you out of trouble," he explained with raised eyebrows.

"I've gotta go," I spoke quickly as I walked over to a table at the window. "Hi, welcome in folks, what can I get started for you today?"

"A coke and a lemonade please," the woman on the left said. She had sat down with who I'm assuming was her husband.

"I'm on it," Rio said, and before I could say anything, he was on his way to the kitchen. I rolled my eyes.

This boy was something else. He was different - I wasn't repulsed by him and he didn't seem to be repulsed by me either. Maybe this could be the beginning of a beautiful love story. As if!

I decided to move on to the other table and proceeded to introduce myself. But, that's also when Rio ran back to the floor to bring the customers their drinks. I guess it was nice to have this shift go faster.

~

Once the clock struck 12, it was time for me to go. It was kind of funny because as soon as Rick caught on to what Rio was doing, he made Asher serve him some drinks on the house. So, since then, Rio has just been sitting at the bar - one could assume he was drunk out of his mind by now. I sauntered my way over there.

"Good tips tonight?" Asher smiled. I shrugged at him. I never cared to count my tips because well, I never really got tipped well in the first place. Didn't want to be disappointed, I guess.

"Come with me tonight to my show. I'm playing at this club down the street. You've got to see me play," Rio pleaded with a pout. What I was wondering was why he was up this late. If he was this so-called actor why does it seem like he never sleeps? I hesitantly accepted. "I promise it will be worth the while."

~

The night was cold. We walked under the brisk windy moonlit skies. I had a comforting feeling in my chest - one full of butterflies and what-ifs.

The club we had arrived at was loud and booming - I had already felt disinclined to enter. I came to an abrupt stop. This was not my type of scene. Sad Elton John songs playing on a distorted record late in the depths of a lonely night was my kind of scene.

Rio looked at me and I felt his hand grasp at my fragile shoulder. I traveled my weary eyes up at his - a pair of eyes that encompassed so much raw emotion.

"I just got to perform one song. Then you can come over to my place. It's late, and you can spend the night if you like," he said with a whole-hearted smirk. I nodded at that and swallowed the lump in my throat.

We then proceeded to walk in. The place was packed to the rim, everyone was bouncing around and sweating. I looked up to see the rest of Rio's band members getting ready to perform on stage. He took my hand and gave it a brief kiss - running up to the stage.

"Thanks for coming in tonight everyone. As you know, all proceeds go to charity for the Rock Against Fur convention, thanks again for joining us on this great night!" When the band began playing, I looked around the room for a place to sit. But, before I could, a girl with a messy blonde ponytail made her way up to me. Her mascara was running and her purple dress straps were practically falling off her shoulders. She looked like a real mess.

"You're dating River, huh?" She asked with her nasally voice. I kneaded my eyebrows together in confusion. Why does everyone think that?

"No, we are just friends. He wanted me to come see his show."

"No one can just be friends with River. It's just impossible!" she let out a loud laugh. "Don't you see how cute he is?" She moved her focus over to Rio, who looked as if he was getting lost in his music.

"Eh, he's not exactly my type," I said with confidence - but inside I knew it wasn't true.

"Well, then what is?"

"Oh, you know, guys with one eye and two fingers. Oh, that shit really butters my biscuits," I said in a deadpan tone. I then flashed her a fake smile. She grimaced at me then got lost in the crowd.

Sometimes I hate how sarcastic I am to people. It's not really friendly of me - well, that's what Carmen tells me anyway.