Thakur's Counsel

It was a hot and blazing day in the village of Ramgarh, which had fallen prey to many problems.

Naman Dhule, a young man, entered the village with a dejected look on his face.

He walked through the small streets and the bazaar, and finally reached the largest house in the village.

Thakur Baldev Singh, the owner of the manor, was waiting at the entrance for him. He was a formidable man in his fifties, with fierce dark eyes.

"Namaste, Thakur Sahib," said Naman respectfully.

Thakur greeted him back, and both of them went inside the mansion.

"Radha, please bring some hot tea for both of us," Thakur told a young girl.

"Yes Baba," Radha answered, and went into the kitchen.

Both the men sat on the sofa and discussed.

"So, what is Gabbar planning to do next?" asked Thakur.

"They were talking of coming back in three days to raid the village, Sahib," said Naman. "We have been badly affected by drought this year, and their raid would only mean a famine."

"Hmm," murmured Thakur. "I have found a duo who can get rid of Gabbar permanently."

He showed Naman the pictures of two suave-looking young men.

"Veeru and Jai?" asked Naman, recognising the two men immediately.

Thakur nodded.

"Sahib, you know very well that these two are notorious for their thefts. What is the guarantee that they won't join Gabbar's gang?"

"Only iron can cut iron, Naman. They are are the right persons to fight Gabbar."

Naman did not understand the statement. Thakur then proceeded to tell him about an event which had happened a couple of years ago.

"I was taking these two to Central Jail by train that day, and there, we encountered some dacoits. Veeru and Jai offered to fight them, and I gave them a condition - they must not escape from the train. I expected them to escape, but to my surprise, they abided by the condition and took on those twenty dacoits by themselves."

"Whatever you say, I still can't trust them, Sahib," said Naman.

"Then trust me! Let's go to Bombay tomorrow to find those two."

Just then, Radha entered the room with a tray, on which were two cups of tea.

Naman gulped his tea quickly, thanked Thakur, and left.

"Baba, what were you discussing about?" Radha asked Thakur.

"The time has come, Radha. The time to avenge your parents' death has come," he answered.

Radha nodded sadly and went away.

"Poor girl," thought Thakur, dejected. "How can I make her happy again? Gabbar, your death is the only solution!"