Old Connections and A New Job

The rays of the sun woke Veeru and Jai on that morning. Both of them woke up, to find Naman looming over them with a trace of hope in his eyes.

Veeru was slightly intimidated, and sat still. But Jai mustered the courage and confronted him.

"Who are you?" he asked. "Have you come looking for us so that you can get the huge price from the police?"

Naman stopped himself from getting infuriated and answered him coolly.

"I have indeed come looking for you, but not for your price. I have a deal."

"What kind of deal?" asked Veeru, feeling braver. Naman just motioned them to follow him, explaining that 'Thakur Sahib will tell you'.

Thakur Baldev was standing under a tree, waiting for them.

"Inspector Sahib!" exclaimed Veeru. "Long time, no see!" added Jai.

"I'm no longer an inspector," said Thakur. "Veeru and Jai, I have something to be done, and only you both can do it."

"Let out the suspense, Sahib," said Jai.

"You both have to capture this dacoit, Gabbar Singh. And that too alive!"

He quickly elaborated about some of the atrocities committed by the ruthless dacoit. Veeru and Jai were intrigued by the deal.

"But remember Thakur Sahib, we work only for money," said Veeru, with a hint of arrogance in his tone. "How much will you pay us?"

"As much as you wish," said Thakur. "Will ten lakhs do?"

Jai shook his head. "Twenty lakhs."

"Fine then. Here are five lakhs in advance. You'll receive the rest fifteen lakhs after you come to Ramgarh."

He handed them a small bag which contained the money.

"Hope you'll not go back on your words," said Veeru.

"I don't have a habit of going back on my words," said Thakur firmly. "See you both in Ramgarh." He and Naman soon left the spot after telling them some more details.

"What do you think, Veeru?" asked Jai. "Should we go for this deal?"

"He's gonna pay us twenty lakhs, so let's do it," replied Veeru. "And if he does go back on his words, we can rob him!"

Jai grinned. Both of them left the woods to make the necessary arrangments.

But this was the journey which would change the lives of the two youths forever.