A Dreadful Holi and Thakur's Past

The night before their victory over Kaalia, Veeru and Jai had tried to steal money from Thakur's locker. But they had been caught by Radha, who told them about how Gabbar had killed her parents. They had a change of heart, and decided to carry out their task without payment, which pleasantly surprised Thakur. 

Veeru was head over heels for Basanti, and was desperately trying to woo her. Jai harboured deep feelings for Radha, but was afraid to confess as she was Thakur's ward. 

That day was Holi, the festival of colours. 

The villagers were hesitant to celebrate, as they were sure that Gabbar would cause some mayhem or the other. But the duo comforted them by saying that they wouldn't let the dacoits lay even a finger on them.  Convinced, the people began throwing and splattering colours on each other. 

Veeru was hankering after a scooting Basanti.

Basanti was actually very much attracted to Veeru, but she kept her feelings under wraps and played hard to get, as her old and nagging aunt would probably skin both her and Veeru if she knew. 

But soon, the villagers' fear came true when the sounds of bullets were heard. 

Gabbar and some of his henchmen arrived there on their steeds. His evil laughter seemed to set in rhythmically with the firing. 

"Hoy Thakur!" he sneered. "You brought two outsiders to fight me? What a horrible mistake, old fellow! Where are those two?" 

"Don't you dare!" roared Jai, and shot two of his dacoits. 

Veeru joined him, drenched in colour from top to toe. The fight got even more intense, landing both of them in a life-or-death situation. 

Just then, Jai noticed a gun near Thakur.

"Thakur Sahib! Help us! The gun is just near you!" he yelled. 

But Thakur did not repond to either his or Veeru's cries. Hurt, both of them fought hard and drove Gabbar away. 

"You had the gun just near you, Thakur Sahib," fretted Veeru. "You are a coward!"

"The deal is cancelled," said Jai. "We're leaving!"

Both of them turned to go away, when Thakur stopped them. 

"Veeru, Jai. Before you go, at least listen to me," he said. "I have a reason for my actions."

They reluctantly turned. 

Just then, a wind blew strongly, and Thakur's shawl, which he wore everyday, fell off, revealing his biggest secret. 

Veeru and Jai were shell-shocked at what they saw. 

Thakur did not have arms. The sleeves of his kurta were hanging freely, without any mass in them. 

Radha quickly hurried to him and put the shawl back on him. 

"Five years ago, I arrested Gabbar and got him life imprisonment," said Thakur, with a stone face. "But he somehow escaped, and killed my entire family, including my eight year-old grandson. That same day, he killed Radha's parents too. I arrived there right then..."

"And then, you chased Gabbar, and he did this to you," said Veeru.

"Thakur Sahib, we promise you that we shall kill him," added Jai, with a hint of repentance in his voice. 

"You will not kill him!" said Thakur. "I want him alive, and only alive!" 

Veeru and Jai promised to catch the dacoit and hand him over straight to him.