5. Dragon/beef stew

Ingredients for Dragon's Stew:
Adapted from here.
2 1/2 pounds of stew meat, preferably a Chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces
Salt/ Pepper
Olive Oil
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup flour
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
2 cups beef broth
1 bay leaf
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 Tsp sugar
2 carrots, peeled
3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
1-2 heads broccoli

To Make Dragon's Stew:

1. Prep veggies. Cut potatoes in half, cut carrots on an angle into 2 inch pieces, cut broccoli free of the stem into pieces, half onion and peel it. Peel garlic, if necessary. Set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 325 F.

3. Heat up a large pan or dutch oven (dish must be stove and oven safe) with a little olive oil. Salt and pepper both sides of stew meat, and, when the oil is ready, start cooking in batches. Don't crowd the pan, or it will start stewing instead of browning. Go about 6-8 pieces at a time, adding more oil in between batches. As it finishes, set aside on a plate.

4. When the beef is done cooking, add in the onion and garlic, and let soften a few minutes. Add in the balsamic vinegar, and deglaze the pan. Rub up any blackened bits left behind by the beef, so that it becomes a part of the sauce.

5. When suitably deglazed, add in the tomato paste and stir through. Add the beef + juices back in, and toss with the flour. Let that cook 1-2 minutes, then add in wine, water, beef broth, sugar, thyme, bay leaf, and stir together. Bring to a boil, and then pop a lid on top, and stick into the pre-heated oven for three hours.

6. About 1/2 hour away from the stew being done, bring a pot of water to boil. Add in the cut broccoli and cook about 2 minutes, or until bright green and tender. Immediately strain out and put in an ice bath to maintain that pretty green color.

7. Bring back to a boil and pop in the carrot and potatos. Cook both until easily pierced with a knife or fork. For carrots, this will take about 8 minutes. The potatoes will take longer, especially since they're in big chunks, probably 15-20 minutes. Remove both as they finish cooking and set aside.

8. After three hours, remove stew from the oven. Remove the thyme, bay leaf, garlic, and onion slices.

9. Serve up! Dish up the meat first, then add the stew base to the dish. Carefully garnish with potato, broccoli, and then carrot. And now it's done!

 And now it's done!