29.Cookies

Checkerboard cookies

Ingredients
8 Tbs. (1 stick) (4 oz./125 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup (6 oz./185 g) sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups (9 oz./280 g) all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 Tbs. unsweetened dark cocoa powder (70% cacao)
Directions
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Sift the flour 3 times into a medium bowl. Add half of the flour to the butter mixture and beat on medium-low speed until just combined. Add the egg and the remaining flour and beat until completely combined, 1 to 2 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment paper and divide into 2 equal pieces. Place 1 piece of dough in a bowl and add the cocoa. Using a silicone spatula, fold until completely combined and the dough takes on the dark color of the cocoa; there should be no visible streaks of plain dough.

Divide each piece of dough (plain and chocolate) in half so you have 2 pieces of plain dough and 2 pieces of chocolate dough. On another sheet of parchment paper, using your hands, carefully roll each piece of dough into a cylinder 12 inches (30 cm) long.

Keeping the cylinders on the parchment, arrange the cylinders alternately to form a checkerboard pattern: Place 1 chocolate cylinder next to a plain cylinder and lightly press them together. Then layer the top, reversing the order of the 2 dough cylinders (plain and then chocolate). Wrap the log of dough with parchment paper along its length. Smooth the edges and gently press the cylinders together using the outer parchment paper to create a cleaner finish. Refrigerate until the dough is firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and unwrap it. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough crosswise into slices 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick. Place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Refrigerate the cookies until firm, about 10 minutes.

Bake until the cookies are just turning golden brown at the edges, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to the racks and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Makes about 35 cookies.
———————————————
Sandwich cookies

Ingredients
For the Chocolate Ganache:
8 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate
5 oz. Heavy whipping cream
For the Shortbread Cookies:
1 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/4 tsp Salt
6 tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened
1/2 cups Sugar
1 Egg, at room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Almond Extract
Instructions
For the Chocolate Ganache:
In a small sauce pan heat the cream over medium heat. Once warm pour over the semi sweet chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Chill until the mixture thickens. If you want to pipe the ganache between the cookies, transfer to a piping bag.
For the Shortbread Cookies:
In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Stir to combine.
In a large mixing bowl of the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract, almond extract, and the egg. Scrape down the sides.
Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined. The dough should be tacky but not too sticky, if it is too sticky add a tablespoon or two of flour.
Transfer the dough onto a flour surface and gather into a ball, slightly flatten with a rolling pin and wrap in plastic wrap. Transfer to the fridge and chill for at least an hour, or overnight if needed.
After the dough has chilled for at least 1 hour remove from the fridge and allow to set at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften slightly. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper, set aside. Transfer the dough once again to a well floured surface and roll out to about 1/2" thick. It may help to work the dough in two batches.
Use a small 2" round or fluted cookie cutter to cut rounds. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets, and bake for 5-6 minutes until slightly golden brown the cookies will still be slightly soft. Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough. Once all of the cookies are baked, allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting.
Take the cooled shortbread cookies and pipe or spread on the chocolate ganache filling, sandwiching together. Any remaining ganache can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
——————————————————
Thumbprint cookie

INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups (222 g) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups (6 oz. / 170 g) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (113 g) powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
raspberry jam
almonds

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
Slowly add in the flour mixture spoon by spoon. Use a spatula to scrap down the flour on the side and bottom as needed. Make sure the mixture is well combined. The dough becomes crumbly but will hold together when pinched.
thumbprint cookies dough

Using your hand, take out approximately 1 tablespoonful of the dough. Knead it on your palm with your fingers a few times and then roll into a 1" ball. Place them on the baking sheet 2" apart. Use your thumb and press a well in the center. Fill each well with 1/2 teaspoon jam.
thumbprint cookies
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Transfer to wire tray to cool completely before storing them in air tight container.
Place almond on top in center of jelly.

————————————————
Crisp maple leaves cookies

INGREDIENTS
2 cups confectioners sugar

2–1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 sticks or 16 tablespoons butter, diced and chilled

1/2 cup maple syrup

2 egg yolks

1 teaspoon maple extract

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 drops orange food gel or color of choice for leaves
INSTRUCTIONS

In bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade, add all dry ingredients, pulse 20 seconds.
Add chilled cubed butter, pulse 20 seconds to make coarse meal.
Add egg yolks, maple syrup and extracts, and food gel coloring, process until dough forms around blade. If dough is too loose add increments of 2 tablespoons of flour until dough forms a ball. Dough will be soft but will firm up after chilling.
Remove from bowl and flatten dough into two discs, wrapping dough in plastic wrap. Chill one hour.
Adjust oven racks to middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Lightly dust rolling surface, remove disc from refrigerator and roll dough into 1/4″ thickness.  Dip cookie cutter in flour to coat, cut out leaf shapes ( carve in design with toothpick). Place leaves on baking sheets.  Return to refrigerator for 8 minutes. Repeat with second baking tray.
Bake cookies 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.  let cookies cool on baking sheets before removing.  They are a tender crisp cookie and will break easily.
Allow to cool completely before serving or freezing.
———————————————
Earl grey cookie

Ingredients
2 tbsp Earl Grey tea , finely ground (about 8 tea bags)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Instructions
PREHEAT oven to 350F. Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
FINELY grind Earl Grey tea in a coffee grinder. Stir flour with ground tea leaves and salt in a medium bowl.
BEAT butter with sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, until smooth, 1 min. Gradually stir in half of flour mixture, until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture, kneading with your hands, until dough forms a ball.
ROLL out on a floured counter until 1/4 in. thick. Cut out cookies with various shapes of cookie cutters( dog with wings ).Arrange on prepared sheets, 2 in. apart. Cookies will spread as they bake.
BAKE in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until edges are just golden, 12 to 15 min. Leave on sheet for 5 min, then transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely. Cookies will keep well in an airtight container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.

 Cookies will keep well in an airtight container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month