19.Hamburger steak

FOR THE HAMBURG

300g Beef mince (10.5oz)
½ White onion
4 tbsp Panko breadcrumbs
3 tbsp Milk
1 pinch Nutmeg
10g Salted butter (2 tsp)
½ tsp Black pepper
¼ tsp Salt
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
FOR THE SAUCE

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tbsp Tomato ketchup
½ tbsp Dijon Mustard (smooth)
2 tsp Honey
INSTRUCTIONS

MAKING THE HAMBURG

First, finely dice ½ onion (as small as you can).
diced onion
Put 3 tbsp of milk into a bowl and add 4 tbsp of panko. Mix and allow to soak, then set aside for later.
mixing panko and milk
Take a frying pan and heat it on medium high, add the 10g of salted butter.

Add the diced onion to the pan and fry in the butter until soft and slightly transparent.
caramelised onion in a pan
Transfer the onion to a cold plate and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
In a large bowl, put 300g of minced meat, ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, the cooked onion and a pinch of nutmeg.

Mix by hand until the seasonings and onions are distributed through the mince but try not to mix too much. Don't let the mince get warm or paste-like.
mixing meat by hand
Add the milk and panko mixture to the mince, mix by hand again.

Now you can shape the hamburg.
SHAPING THE HAMBURG

First, using the edge of your hand, divide the meat in two.
Take out one half and press it into a round shape.
making the hamburg round
Toss the patty from one hand to the other to shape it into a thick patty (about 2cm / 1 inch thick).
shaping the hamburg
Once you're happy with the shape, press a slight indentation in the middle.
making an indent
Lay carefully on a plate and repeat with the other half.
COOKING

Heat a frying pan on medium high and add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
Once hot, place the patties into the frying pan with the dent side facing up.

Fry for 2-3 minutes.
Using a spatula, carefully lift the patties slightly to check if the underneath is browned and slightly crisped up. If it's not, leave it to cook for longer. If it is, then flip it over.
one flipped hamburg with spatula
After you've flipped the patties, turn down the heat to medium low. Continue to cook in the frying pan for 3-4 minutes.
Using a toothpick (or check with a meat thermometer, the centre should be at least 70°C or 160°F) pierce the patty. If no juice or red juice comes out then it's not cooked yet so reduce the heat to the lowest setting and add a lid to allow it to steam for an extra few minutes, this will stop it from burning.
the hamburgs are ready
If the juice comes out clear, it's ready. Turn off the heat and transfer the hamburgs to the serving plates.
MAKING THE SAUCE

In the same pan as you cooked the hamburgs, add 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 4 tbsp tomato ketchup, ½ tbsp mustard and 2 tsp honey.
mixing the hamburg sauce
Mix and simmer for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
simmering hamburg sauce closeup
Drizzle the sauce over the hamburg and serve! Hamburg is often served with salad, potato salad, rice, fries... however you like!

Fried egg

A perfectly fried egg is not too greasy. Its white isn't too firm or rubbery and the yolk spills out when you cut into it. Use the freshest eggs possible and remove them from the fridge before cooking to allow them to come up to room temperature.

1
Add a dash of oil and a knob of butter to a non-stick frying pan and place over a medium heat. When the butter starts to foam, crack the eggs into the pan, taking care not to break the yolks
2
Fry the egg until the whites are opaque but the yolk is still runny. If there is still some wobbly uncooked white around the yolk, spoon some of the hot fat from the pan over the top of it – this will cook the white without overcooking the yolk
3
For a firm yolk, the best method is to place a lid over the pan to create a steamy atmosphere which cooks the egg from above as well as below
4
Season with sea salt and serve immediately

 If there is still some wobbly uncooked white around the yolk, spoon some of the hot fat from the pan over the top of it – this will cook the white without overcooking the yolk3For a firm yolk, the best method is to place a lid over the pan to cre...