16. Remus Lupin

"Remus, what are they doing now?"

"No idea," Remus replied as we watched the Gryffindor quidditch team whizz through the sky all in different directions.

I scratched the back of my neck, "I'm a little confused as to why they thought we'd be of any help"

"I'm going to have to agree with you on that one Y/N," he glanced the other way towards where Peter was seated, "hopefully he knows what's going on"

James had bounded toward the Gryffindor table that morning insisting on spectators for the quidditch practice. Peter had immediately jumped at the chance, but I was still unsure as to how Remus and I were dragged into it, considering our lack of knowledge for the sport.

"And what are we saying when James asks us for feedback later?" I prodded.

"That they were all very fast," Remus nodded decisively, causing me to bark out a laugh.

It wasn't until 30 minutes later that James finally wrapped up the practice for the evening. I trekked down to the pitch beside the other two and caught the last of James's overly enthusiastic speech, "...and remember no detentions over the next two days! I need all of you attending every single practice before the game on Saturday"

"Mate, don't you think that's a bit hypocritical?" Sirius snickered from where he still hovered on his broom.

James's expression darkened before he started rambling on about knowing when to be responsible. The team let out a chorus of groans.

"C'mon lets head back this could be ages," I whispered to Remus who nodded in agreement and followed me back to the Gryffindor common room.

I sat down in the cosy armchair by the fire and picked up the book I had been reading, letting myself be engulfed by the cushions surrounding me. Remus had strewn himself along the couch, reading his own book under a fluffy red blanket. From the corner of my eye I could see him stretching his back and cracking his knuckles as if he was agitated. Quickly losing focus in my book with the distraction, I turned to him, "have you got much work to do tonight?".

Remus's eyes shot up at my voice before rapidly shaking his head, "No, no I'm taking the night off"

I hummed in response, "Oh okay, you just seem a bit... on edge"

A strained laugh escaped him. "Nope, not at all, I'm peachy", he said, clamping his fingers down to restrain their nervous movement. Deciding it wasn't enough, he pulled the blanket up to his chin. Figuring that he probably wasn't going to elaborate I nodded my head and turned back to my book.

It was only a few minutes later when half of the crew traipsed in, "Uhhh remind me to never interrupt one of James's speeches again," groaned an exhausted looking Sirius as he flopped onto the couch beside Remus.

"You said those exact words last week," I remarked.

"Well clearly, you guys forgot to remind me," he pouted, reaching out to Remus and tugging the blanket off of him to cover himself with.

He scrutinised Remus's now uncovered hands which were still twiddling with nervous energy, "What's up with you?" Sirius asked.

I observed them closely as Remus shot a meaningful glare at Sirius whose mouth distorted into an o shape. Sirius glanced my way, stood up and threw the blanket back over his friend.

"I better be off before James gets back, I could do without another earful," Sirius announced heading up towards his dorm.

"Guess it's just me and thee," I said, turning to face Remus again.