4. Harry Potter

'The boy who lived' and 'you-know-who' was being muttered along the corridors following the return to school. Everyone had heard of the treacherous events that occurred in the last task of the triwizard tournament. the summer holidays had given every witch and wizard a reason to ponder the truth of Potters statement. Had the Dark Lord really returned?

You paid little attention to the doubt of the other students, however you were aware that Harry did not. His final tether seemed to have been cut when he was forced to participate in the tournament the year prior. The once patient and understanding boy had become easily angered and seemed to be tired all the time. You couldn't blame him.

The disagreement between Seamus and Harry had already passed around the Gryffindor tower and baffled the lot of them. Everyone had believed the boys to be good friends.

You continued on your way back to Gryffindor Tower through the bustling crowds that gathered after the final lesson of the day. Unlike them, you just wanted a rest from everyone's opinions (and their mothers' too) planning on collapsing into a couch upon entrance.

However, what you did come to see brought this desire to a halt. Harry Potter, the boy who had faced dragons, a basilisk, grindylows and Lord Voldemort - more than once - was curled up in a ball on a large red armchair. Sitting on the chair alongside him was a heap of cloth, that looked to be a cloak.

You were acquainted with the boy, he had been polite enough to start many conversations with yourself - conversation that you often found difficult initiating even though you were placed in the house of Bravery, but unsure if he would be welcome to anyone's company at a time like this.

Deciding that you wanted to see if you could help him in any way you walked to the foot of the armchair and kneeled down so you were looking up at him.

"Harry?" You whispered thrice before catching the attention of the boy.

He looked up frazzled, his hair was a mess (as per usual) and his eyes were red rimmed. Once he had straightened his glasses and looked back at you again he seemed to go pink in the cheeks.

"Sorry," he muttered, "I was just... thinking."

You shot him a confused look "there's nothing you need to be sorry for. I just came over to check on you, is there anything I can do for you? Anything at all?"

"No I'm completely fine," his voice cracks at the end.

Instead of calling him out on his obvious lie you move up to sit next to him on the armchair. He watches you closely as you look at him as gently as possible.

"Have you had much sleep?" You ask, concern laced in your voice.

"Yeah I... No" he changes his answer after he looks back over at you, "it's a long time to be alone with your thoughts."

"Well you're not gonna get much sleep curled up like that," you point to his posture, "go lie down on the couch, come on"

You take his hand and pull him after you to the couch sitting opposite the fireplace. Sitting cross legged on one end you pat your knees, gesturing to Harry to place his head in your lap.

He seems to fidget for a bit with the cloak he still carries before lying down and placing his head in your lap. You offer him a smile and he gives one in return, however, you don't point out the Crimson Colour of his cheeks. You're sure that yours are the same.

"It's a wonder you've had any sleep in your life Harry," you giggle, "you should know by now that you have to close your eyes."

Harry looks embarrassed for a second before shutting his eyes as he's been instructed. You smile at his peaceful figure for a moment, how has this boy endured so much pain in his short life? How does he still manage to look happy ever so often? What has the world done to deserve Harry Potter?

You shake off these questions as you move your hands to his hair. Slowly, and gently, you push your hands through the Raven mess and watch as his face visibly relaxes. You have to try not to laugh and disturb his resting. You continue to play with his hair and massage his scalp in the empty common room. Tracing your fingers through different parts of his hair you see his lips part slightly as your fingers find their way to the back of his neck.

You listen carefully as the boys breathing slows and once you are sure he is asleep you remove his glasses and place them on a coffee table to your right. However you don't stop playing with Harry's hair and lean your head sideways onto the couch's headrest and stare at his prominent eyebrows and jaw, emitting a smile on your features.

"Sleep tight, Harry"