Chapter 20 : Moving too Fast

Layla and Kali were working at the store today while Omar took care of some personal things. "Thanks for coming. I thought I was gonna have to do this all myself." "Oh you know I gotchu girl. I'm glad I can be a big help. Where is dickhead anyways?" Layla looked at her with a confused look. "Jesus Christ, Omar, I'm talking about Omar." "He is handling some business. He will be back later today." Kali looked closely at Layla's hand. That couldn't be a ring she thought to herself. She snatched Layla's hand up and saw the diamond shunning. "Lay where'd you get this?" Layla pulled her hand away and put it in the air. "You like it? It's so beautiful." Kali looked at her like she was crazy. "Does Omar know?" "Does Omar know what?" He came up behind them with a curious look on his face. "Umm.. your back early. How'd everything go?" "Fine...why you acting so funny Layla? Did I miss something." Kali cleared her throat and looked down at the floor." "Hello?! Can someone please tell me what's going on?" "Dominic gave Layla a ring." "REALLY KALI!?" Layla looked over at Omar who was now even more confused than before. "A ring? Layla are you marrying this guy? Don't you think you're moving too fast?" It's a promise ring Omar damn!" "Well I'd love to see the wedding ring." Layla says "Kali your not helping. I know what I'm doing why can't you just be happy for me?!" Things got awkward quickly. Omar looked at Kali and then back at Layla. "Why you getting so hostile Lay? I was just curious. What makes you think I'm not happy for you? You're my best friend. I'll always be happy for you. I just don't want you to get hurt again. I don't know what goes down when you're with him. I pray everyday to make sure you make it home safe. My job is to protect you." Omar wiped away his tears. Kali rubbed his back, but he moved away from her. Layla said nothing. " Omar I didn't know it affected you so much. I just thought you didn't think he was good enough for me. He is perfect Omar I swear. He has been the best thing that has ever happened to me." Kali rolled her eyes and said " okay are you guys done? We have people waiting on us." They laughed and said "oh yeah." What Omar said stuck in her mind for a while.