winter storm ; dylan o'brien

it had been exactly five years and twenty-one days since you last saw your ex-boyfriend who also happened to be one of the most famous actors in the world.

it wasn't your choice to break up, in fact it broke your heart so much that you moved to the opposite coast to try and start a fresh new life. but no matter where you went, everything reminded you of him.

you had all of your firsts together, first kiss, first time, first dance, everything. and now every time you went on your phone fans of dylan were tagging you in old couple photos, trailers for his new movies popped up on your timeline — he was everywhere.

life in new york was different to your chill, los angeles lifestyle but it kept your mind off of dylan. some may say you were crazy to not have even tried to date someone else since the break-up, but no one ever compared to him.

as a hopeless romantic you believed everyone had a soulmate, and yours just so happened to be dylan o'brien.

of course, it wasn't always easy to avoid him when he was in new york, he loved the mets - your favourite baseball team, he loved watching musicals on broadway and you nearly bumped into him once when you went to see Frozen the musical.

since breaking up with you, and despite how hard you tried to avoid even finding out anything about his love life, you saw that he had gotten a girlfriend a couple of months after your break-up and you couldn't help but wonder if everything you felt was ever reciprocated.

on a dark, snowy day, you were venturing out into the cold to go grocery shopping. you lived in an apartment building besides central park and the quickest way to get to the supermarket was straight through the park.

bundled up in a winter coat, hat, scarf and gloves you finally stepped out into the baltic winter storm new york was currently experiencing. normally you'd order your food shopping online but the wifi in your building had broken earlier in the morning and before the weather got even worse than it already was you wanted to stock up.

snow flakes flurried in front of your face as you trudged through the snow along the usual path you took through the park. not many people dared to venture out in this weather unless they had to.

once you got to the supermarket you filled a basket with soup, pasta and items of food that would last for a couple of weeks — along with a treat of hot chocolate and marshmallows.

after paying you filled your backpack up with your groceries and stepped back out into the frozen city streets.

dragging your feet through the snow on the way back through the park, you were nearly halfway back to the other end of the park but something stopped you in your tracks when you saw someone sat on a snow covered bench with their head in their hands.

most people would walk past someone like this in new york, but you weren't most people and you couldn't let someone sit out here alone.

you walked over to them, raising your voice slightly through the snow storm, "hey! are you okay?!"

the figure in a huge puffy coat looked up, snow coating their familiar dark eyelashes, moles scattered across their face like constellations that you'd recognise anywhere. you stepped back slightly, your smile faltering.

"y/n?" he asked, his voice sounded husky as if he'd been crying.

"dylan? what are you doing out here?" you asked.