Chapter 12

If I didn't get a text from Kenzie to save her, I don't think I was going to get out of bed.  That night with Alyson was supposed to be great, but it turned into a nightmare. I don't know how long I was in that closet. It felt like hours before she came and suggested that I leave.  I got Mei to come over and drive me back home.  It was definitely not the night I imagined.  Alyson didn't even apologize or say anything else after that. 

When I got to Kenzie's house, the gate was opened and there were a bunch of vans.  The front door was also opened. What was going on? I quickly sent Kenzie a text saying I was here.  As I approached the entrance, I could hear Mrs. Kaliyev's voice.

"Hello," I called out. 

There was a bunch of cameramen and a man in a cheap-looking two-piece suit with too much gel in his hair was talking to Mrs. Kaliyev.  They all turned toward me when they saw me.

"Zara, my beautiful darling." Mrs. Kaliyev approached me with open arms as she enveloped me in a big hug. 

"What's going on?" I glanced at everyone around me. Madison stood off to the side, texting someone on her phone while Aslan was leaning against a nearby wall. His eyes lit up when he saw me and he gave me a friendly wave. 

"I'm doing an interview for Real Housewives," Mrs. Kaliyev answered. "Everyone has done their interviews except for Kenzie. She will not leave her room." 

Everything made sense now. This is why Kenze said to save her. I don't know how I could.

"Who's this beautiful young lady?" The man with the gelled hair asked.

"Brad, this is Zara. She the friend of my daughters," Mrs. Kaliyev explained."Looked at that beautiful bone structure and those expressive eyes"  She grabbed ahold of my chin, pulling me toward her until we were an uncomfortable distance apart.  She studied me like I was some kind of new specimen. 

I was too afraid to move because of how close we were. 

"She would make a wonderful model," Mrs. Kaliyev stated. 

Annelies Kaliyev was once a popular model in the late eighties to nighties. She had blonde hair and blue eyes that ruled the modeling world in the eighties. She was still a beautiful woman and she planned on keeping it that way. Madison got her vanity from her. I had never met someone who had a room filled with just their portraits and magazine covers. Now she works as a modeling scout and as a manager for Madison's modeling career.

"Mom, you're making Zara uncomfortable," Madison said nonchalantly. 

"Oh, I'm sorry." Mrs. Kaliyev quickly released me and gave my cheek a gentle tap. "I can't get my other daughter to become a model, but you Zara can be one."

"I'm good. Thank you," I said as I distanced myself from her.

"Zara here is a real thespian," Mrs. Kaliyev explained to Brad.

"Do you mean lesbian," Madison said dryly as she looked up from her phone. 

Mrs. Kaliyev and I stared at Madison in confusion. 

"Thespian is an actor you dumbass,"  Kenzie said as walked down the stairs.  "She was talking about how Zara is into acting and the theater. "

Madison shot Kenzie a death glare. 

"Yes, I did mean that but don't be mean to your sister," Mrs. Kaliyev scolded Kenzie.

Kenzie rolled her eyes.  She laid against the railing, watching everyone with a look of distatste.

"Are you ready to do the interview?" Mrs. Kaliyev reached over to grab  Kenzie who avoided her grasp. 

"No, I will not do this stupid interview because I don't want to be a part of this idiotic show." Kenzie glared at Brad.