Chapter 14

I could feel the panic sink in and I froze up. What do I do? Why do I feel so bad about this? Think it through Zara. Think logically. You just don't want two people who don't like each other to be in the same room. How do I get one to leave without seeing the other? I thought about Homecoming and how they fought. I didn't want to get in between them again.  Honesty is the way.

"Is that Project girl? Amelia stared at me with curiosity.

"Maybe," I uttered. I hope not. "Just to warn you. Project girl is Alyson." I distanced myself from her as I got up.

"How did that happen?" Amelia ran her fingers through her luscious, dark hair as she stared at me with those playful dark eyes.

"Madame Mbaye chose it because her name starts with A and mine starts with Z," I answered as I headed to the door. Please don't be Alyson. Please don't be Alyson. I said it like a mantra in my head. I opened the door with bated breath and it was... Alyson.

"Sorry, if I was late, Alyson said. "I had to pick up my little brother from school. Our nanny is sick and my mom had a doctor's appointment."

"I wish you were later," I muttered under my breath.

"What?" Alyson looked at me in confusion.

"Nothing," I answered. "Please take off your shoes."

Alyson gave me a questionable look before she removed her flats. I shut the door behind her.

"Aly, what a pleasure to see you again," Amelia stated. She walked over to us, with a big grin on her face.

Alyson's face turned stone cold. She stared at Amelia with an icy glare.

Fuck! Oh fuck! Please don't fight.

"What is she doing here?" Alyson's voice was low and brimming with anger.

"Just a short visit, right?" I turned to Amelia and silently wished she will not make this into another incident.

"Yeah," Anelia answered with a grin.  She leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. "I'll see you at eight."

I just nodded my head like an idiot. I  was too stunned to say anything. I watched Alyson from the corner of my eye. She looked like she wanted to take a swing at Amelia.

Amelia slipped on her shoes. "Bye, Aly. Have fun on your project." She then turned to me. "Not too much fun. I hope."

"It's just an easy project," I said. "See you later. " I opened the door for her to let her out. Once she was gone, I shut the door behind me and laid my back against it.

"Did you plan that?" Alyson questioned me angrily.

"No, she stopped by to ask me out," I answered. "And why would I do that?"

"Because you hate me," Alyson replied.

"I don't hate you. You hate me," I retorted.

"I don't hate you," Alyson said. The anger in her voice finally disappeared.

"Let me rephrase that. You hate the idea of people seeing us together," I stated.

"You're not being fair," Alyson defended.

"Oh, I'm sorry who left who in the closet in only their underwear?"

Alyson let out a sigh. "How many times do I have to apologize for that before you believe me?"

"And don't talk about what's fair and what's not when I'm the one who has been getting the short end of the stick," I said.

Alyson stood there in silence, unsure what to do or say.