Chapter 3

My cousin Mei was arriving today for a short visit before she went back to college. She was the only family member on my mom's side of the family that my mom liked. My mom said it was because she was witty and the only niece that she thought had a personality. I guess it was true, but it's not like she had a lot of options to choose from.

Short story on my family situation. My dad's side of the family was the regular east coast Jewish family. They were a tight-knit group. My mom's side of the family basically hated each other. They all wanted my grandpa's multi-billion dollar real estate development company. When you have six kids and eleven grandkids, there will be a struggle because everyone wants the largest share.

My uncle assumed he would be getting the majority of the company because he was the only son, but my grandpa favored my mom, his youngest daughter. That favoritism caused everyone to hate her. Everyone thought that she would lose that favor when she married my non-Chinese dad, but that never happened.  Then fifteen years later when everyone found out I was gay, they thought for sure I would be disinherited, but that didn't happen so they really hated us now.

Mei was the second child of my fourth aunt. She was a year older and in some ways I idolized her. Unlike my other cousins, she was not a spoiled and entitled backstabber. She didn't rely on her inheritance and she did as she pleased. The only issue I had with her was that she was a hedonist and she basically flirted with any attractive person she came across.

I had a few hours before Mei arrived. Should I wait for her and go to the mall together? She could help me look for a dress for Homecoming. Who else was available today? Madison had a photoshoot and Devin had dance practice, so they were not an option. Kenzie was a definite no. Monique might be available.  I quickly sent her text. To my surprise, she responded rather quickly.

I quickly walked out of my house and towards Monique's since she lived across from me. Monique stood in her front yard dressed in a yellow cami and jean shorts. A toddler with blonde curly hair was sitting on the lawn playing with his toy dinosaurs.

"Hey, Monique. Are you free to go to the mall? Or are you babysitting?"

"No, my grandma is visiting with my baby nephew. He wanted to play outside so I'm just watching him for while," Monique explained. "We can so go to the mall. I don't want to be stuck at home on a Saturday. Everyone else is like with their boyfriends. Byron is doing some basketball thing."

"Is Logan dating someone?" Logan was Monique's best friend. They were normally glued to each others' side. They were both similar in the way they spoke except that Monique was smarter than how she acted while Logan was the stereotypical dumb blonde.

"No, she said she was sick and that's why she couldn't hang out, "Monique answered. She turned to her nephew.  "Jordan, say hi."

Jordan looked up from his dinosaurs and stared at me for a second before he went back to playing.

"He doesn't talk much, " Monique explained. "Omigod!"

"What?" I turned to see what she was looking at.  Kenzie was walking down the street with a bow and arrow. Her long black hair was tied in a high ponytail. "What are you doing?"

Kenzie casually strolled toward us. "I'm hunting."

"Poor animals, " I said.

"I'm not hunting animals. I'm not a monster." Kenzie looked at me as though I offended her. She slid the bow over her arm.

"Then what are you hunting?" Monique took a step back.

"Aslan, " Kenzie answered.

"Isn't that dangerous." I took a step away from Kenzie.