Chapter 1

Do you know how in those certain teen movies where the main character has a crush on the popular girl and through a trial of chance meetings, he somehow convinces the girl that he was the right one for her all along? I had the same issue with having a crush on the popular girl but I could never be the main character. For one thing, I was a girl. Second thing is that I had many chance meetings with my crush and she always avoided me like I had the plague. The third thing was that my crush was straight. 

Alyson Crawford sat a few tables down from my lunch table. She had that pretty, girl next door look that won her a lot of admirers. I've had a crush on her since I was twelve. She was always so introverted and I remembered how badly I wanted to get to know her during our first meeting. The more I saw her, the more I wanted to be in her life. Even though our paths have crossed many times, it didn't seem like they would ever interlink.

 Braden Atwood, her Abercrombie and Fitch looking boyfriend had his arm around her as he laughed at a joke he probably said himself. They looked like such the typical picturesque couple. There was no chance for me. Just like in Hollywood movies, the guy will always get the girl.

"Zara, earth to Zara?"

I turn toward my best friend Devin as he waved his hand over my face. I've known him since I was ten years old. It was strange how quickly we grew up and now we were in our last year of high school. He grew into his looks. I always called him skeleton because he had an angular face and his high cheekbones made it look like he had hollow cheeks.  Now that he put on some weight and it filled out more of his face, he looked like a good addition to any generic K-pop boy band.  If I had to be with a guy, it would be him. He was the only exception. 

"What?" I shoved his hand out of my face. 

The corner of Devin's lips curved into a grin as he shook his head at me."You were staring off into space again."

"Again? When have I done that before?"

"When we had lunch yesterday," Devin answered. 

"In French class," Madison added as she flipped her long blonde hair over her shoulder.

"Many times in French class," Kenzie included rather bluntly.

I was surprised that Kenzie was paying attention to our conversation. She was so used to being in her own world and she normally hates socializing. It was funny how Madison and she were twins but they were so completely different.

Madison was very sociable and she responded really well to compliments. Kenzie was fiercely independent and only did things on her own terms.

"Okay, maybe I'm just daydreaming a little," I said. "I"m just excited to graduate."

"Me too since it's the only way I can leave this hell hole," Kenzie said bluntly.

"Our former Vice President shouldn't say words like that," I teased.

As a joke, our classmates voted for Kenzie to become Vice President of our student council. She was furious and during her speech, she made sure to let everyone know that she hated them all, and then she added some very choice words before Principal Carter took the microphone from her. Luckily for Kenzie, the school's golden boy Braden gladly took the position for her.

"I will destroy you and this place," Kenzie said tersely.

"My bad." I raised my hands up in mock surrender. "I just can't believe I'm the only one going to college at this table."

"I can't stand people. Why would I pay to be surrounded by them?" The mere thought of being in a classroom full of people for another four years had Kenzie's eyes burning with anger.