Chapter 10

After long and arduous efforts, the Sunshot Campaign finally came to an end. Lotus Pier was still in the finishing process of being rebuilt. 

Time seemed to speed up and drag slowly all at once. 

Wei Wuxian was walking around the town, thinking back on about nearly three weeks ago with the confrontation between him and the what's-his-name Jin, Jin Zixuan's cousin during the night hunt on Phoenix Mountain. He felt bad about Shijie stepping in the situation for his sake. She defended him as family. It made his chest warm up with a familiar familial affection towards her. 

Shijie was truly amazing. He admired and adored her. She was his friend, big sister and mother-like figure all wrapped in one. She and Jiang Cheng were important to him. He would do anything for them. No matter what it cost him in return. 

Shijie and Jiang Cheng had no clue that he didn't have his golden core anymore, let alone that he gave it away to Jiang Cheng. It needed to stay that way. This secret would be taken to his death. 

Others were starting to talk again and spread rumors and discord. Wei Wuxian knew that if he stayed with them, it would only bring them more trouble than either needed right now. Jiang Cheng was working so hard to rebuild the sect.

Wei Wuxian sighed. 'I knew I would have to leave them sooner or later. I just hadn't wanted it to be so soon.' 

The other sects are looking for an opening - a weakness. They wanted to drive a wedge between him and Jiang Cheng because of his cultivation and that he was now considered an unknown threat and everyone accused Jiang Cheng of being power hungry and whatever else, 'keeping Wei Wuxian’s power' all to himself. Wei Wuxian was immensely annoyed by the sects that kept coming to him with offers for him to join their sect. Greedy bastards. 

Suibian smirked as many sect leaders went red with shame. He couldn't help but feel validated. The words he had wanted to say but couldn’t all those years ago were being conveyed through his master.

And because of that, he couldn't let Jiang Cheng get dragged down with him. Wei Wuxian would soon have to defect from the Jiang Sect, to protect Jiang Cheng. He wouldn't let Jiang Cheng fall with him. But in order to keep one promise, the promise to Madam Yu and Uncle Jiang, he would be breaking the promises he made to Jiang Cheng. Even though he never says it allowed, Wei Wuxian would always view Jiang Cheng as his little Shidi. It's his responsibility to look after him as he promised, but also because… Jiang Cheng was his brother and friend. Wei Wuxian loved him as such and would do.anything for him, even if it slowly put a wedge between their relationship. 

He already gave his golden core, but as long as he breathed, he would still look out for his little brother for however long he could, until he was no longer needed. 

Wei Wuxian sighed and his thoughts suddenly wandered to Lan Wangji at Phoenix Mountain. He also remembered the strong maiden who had kissed him sensely while he was blindfolded before fleeing.  Wei Wuxian shook his head. He would probably never know who it had been. 

Suibian snickered as he snuggled closer to Yanling Daoren, who then looked at him with an arched brow but Suibian just gave him a sweet innocent smile.  Suibian turned to look at the golden eyed, white-robed cultivator with a wide devilish grin on his face and winked at Lan Wangji whose face had a faint blush and red ears.

 Lan Xichen stared at his baby brother and shook his head with a small smile. Lan Qiren looked like he was about to spit blood and faint, being reminded of the memory scene where they had all watched a shameless version of Han-Guangjun kiss Wei Wuxian, the Yiling Patriarch in the memory.