Chapter 4

Hearts were in disarray. They could not help but be secretly moved in their hearts by the scenes that they witnessed as they slowly, gradually unfolded, even if they had hardened their hearts - they were not immune. Chenqing kept his gaze on them in disdain; tapping his forefinger on his knee as he watched them, as he watched his master's memories-his spirit filled with sorrow and bitterness.

Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng laid where they were for a while, tears all dried up. Wei Wuxian never thought that he nor Jiang Cheng would end up in a situation like this.

Wei Wuxian sighed heavily as he slowly dragged his exhausted body into a sitting position to stand up, placing his hands on his knees as he pushed himself and stood up.

Wei Wuxian spoke in a weary hoarse tone, "Come on, Jiang Cheng. We need to move. Let's go."
He looked down at Jiang Cheng, waiting for the other to stand.

"Jiang Cheng, we need to go. Come on." Wei Wuxian bent, lending out his hand to his side. A loud crack sounded as Jiang Cheng swatted his hand away, leaving the back of Wei Wuxian's hand stinging.
Wei Wuxian didn't say anything and blinked at the other, still waiting

"Go? Go where?" Jiang Cheng croaked, Wei Wuxian knew it must have been because of Jiang Cheng's screaming from earlier.

"To go find Shijie," Wei Wuxian offered, wanting to reach out his hand once more to help his side, the little brother of his heart stand up... but he knew the help would be unwanted so - Wei Wuxian clenched his fist, hidden in the sleeve to stop the impulse.
Wei Wuxian waited as Jiang Cheng slowly stood up.
The two set off on foot, leaving behind a night of storm and screaming, and dried-up tears.

~~~~~~~

During their journey, they summoned up whatever energy they had left as the two trod the earth with heavy hearts and heavy footsteps. Wei Wuxian stayed quiet unless he needed to speak, occasionally glancing with worried grey eyes at Jiang Cheng, another sigh was a heavy boulder that weighed down on his heart that seemed to be submerged under deep water. Jiang Cheng kept his hands close to his chest as though it held the most precious treasure he owned, cradling the hand with the finger that bore the ring of Zidian and with it the last piece of Madam Yu.

Wei Wuxian watched silently as his side kept glancing over his shoulder, looking back at what had been their home. Wei Wuxian wanted to look back as well, the need suppressed deep within.

He could not - would not - look back. He did not have that right. He could only force himself to push forward, onward - never looking back, only looking forward.

He, Wei Wuxian, knew that he, himself, was high spirited. He had only ever looked forward, always following his own morals and principles, following his heart.

He never wanted nor ever felt he needed to look back before, until this moment... and now... there was nothing to look back at... except a ravaged and broken burning home, stolen and stomped on by others who did not care for it, only wanting to seize it.

Wei Wuxian did not look back, he could not - not until they retook their home from those damned Wens.

Whispers sounded throughout the room from many cultivators that watched and heard the former Yiling Patriarch's inner dialogue and felt his intense emotions of hatred towards the Wen-dogs, his seething need for revenge that was growing deep inside like an infected wound.

"What? He clearly hated those damned Wens so much... and yet... why did he end up choosing to save some of them after?"

"He must have had a change of heart."

One cultivator snorted, "having a change of heart towards those that were part of the clan that devastated his home?"

"Demonic cultivation must have done it."