Ch. 23: New Beginnings

Chenqing paced back and forth beside Suibian. The day has arrived from Jin Guangshan's punishment, alongside Jin Guangyao, and Su She. All the prominent cultivators he had attended the memory viewing weeks before were all in attendance at Lotus Pier, and rogue cultivators scattered throughout.

They all were gathered in the training yard this time, outside, where the sun seemed to blaze down upon them in judgment. The Yunmeng Jiang Sect, Lotus Pier, was known for its hot, humid weather.

Wei Wuxian stood out of sight in the shade, not quite ready to join all of them, not after past records.

The Lan's were all on the right in one corner, the Nie Sect brothers behind them. All Jiang disciples and sect cultivators stood to the left in their own circle. The other Jin sect's people stood at the center, with Madam Jin at the helm, since her husband was the one being punished. She held her grandson in her arms, also visiting him, since he alternated between Lotud Pier and the Jin Sect. Madam Jin had been present at the memory viewing but she and her husband had been at odds so she had sat far away from him and fumed in silence, waiting to lash out at him.

Everyone else was behind, and scattered everywhere.

Xiao Xingchen and Song Lan were there as well but off in their own little corner in the back.

Chenqing glanced to where Wei Wuxian was hiding, to make sure the other was okay. Lan Wangji was by his side, and not with his sect.

Wei Wuxian's eyes had been straying to Jin Ling, in Madam Jin's arms. They had yet to truly, officially meet. And you could see the yearning in Wei Wuxian's eyes, and he was certainly holding back.

Chenqing sighed, and glanced around to make sure everyone was here. Lan Xuan gave him a nod to signal they were.

Chenqing hadn't missed the rogue cultivator, with someone he had seen in some visions not too long ago.

The both noticed him looking their way

Xue Yang just sent him a smirk, his arms crossed, and his companion beside him was more...serene.

Chenqing was strong. Very strong, as were Suibian and Lan Xuan, and of course some cultivators, but the rogue cultivator carried a whole other presence. Chenqing could probably go toe to toe with him...not that he wanted to try. The rogue cultivator felt like a good guy, but the wave of power coming from him felt jarring and even oppressing.

"That's Jing Yu. He was formerly a part of the Nie Sect some years ago, before leaving." Lan Xuan came and murmured into his ear. "He fought Wen Ruohan before the Sunshot Campaign and tried to help the minor sects in their battles against the Wens. That's how he got those scars and wounds."

Chenqing blinked. That was new information. He had noticed though, how the Nie brothers had seen the rogue cultivator and kept shooting glancing at him, which he only gave them a nod and a small smile.

Very interesting.

Chenqing pulled himself together and was about to address everyone when he realized that this time The Jiang Sect Leader should make the announcements and take this stance.

He motioned the other forward. He already knew what they planned. He would announce it and they would enact it.

"Sect Leader Jin Guangshan collaborated with Jin Guangyao, and Su She, a former member of the Lan Sect, to act out terrible schemes against my brother in Jin Guangshan's bid power, and Jin Guangyao's need for his father's approval, and Su She jealousy and inferiority, all caused their downfall from grace." Jiang Cheng's voice echoed firmly throughout the courtyard.

"We have seen for ourselves. And also how we each played a part in my brother's downfall." Jiang Cheng paused, taking a breath before releasing it.

"We are here to rectify that and bring about justice. Let's waste no time on formalities and let us commence with the punishments."