xxxv. must be hell

Chapter Thirty-five: Must Be Hell

AVA DROPPED HERSELF down next to John B, they sat on the dock with Kie and JJ. Ava could feel the other girl staring at the back of her head, she ignored it as she looked to her left at John B who kept his eyes on the water ahead. "Is it cool if I hug you?" Ava whispered, though all John B did to acknowledge her was give a slight nod, which may not have even been a nod but Ava took it as one anyway, wrapping her arms around him and resting her head on his shoulder. She looked out at the water as well, trying to see what her friend was seeing.

John B got up, getting out of Ava's grip and sitting somewhere else, her pity or whatever she was showing him making him a bit uncomfortable, he been pitied for months now, he didn't want that from his best friends now that his worst nightmare was proven to be fact. Ava sighed, and shook her head, the sun was fully risen, bouncing of the water and casting a golden light over Outer Banks.

"Are you sure he got everything?" Kie asked John B who had explained to them that he went back to the well and had found it empty.

"Every bar." John B said. "The whole enchilada." He suddenly pulled the black cast off his arm, flexing his fingers with a sigh of relief before tossing the cast off to the side. "It's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit."

Kie sat up, eyes on the cast. "John B-"

"What Kie?" John B rolled his eyes, his tone filled with annoyance. "It's a hairline fracture. Who cares?" It was obvious that he didn't, Ava wondered if he cared about anything anymore.

"You should care." Kie told him, JJ turned around, handing his joint to Ava. "You're arm's gonna be messed up for life." She tried to point out.

Ava took a couple hits as John B raised his arm and wiggled his fingers. "It's fine, see?"

"Guys!" Running footsteps approached, Pope was coming down the dock. "Guys!" He yelled again, making it to his friends, resting his hands on his knees and panting for breath. "Oh, god. I ran all the way here."

"You good there, buddy?" Ava asked Pope, who held up a finger while catching his breath.

"You alright?" John B tilted his head to the side to look at his friend.

JJ too looked over. "How was the interview, Pope?"

"Don't ask." Pope stood straight. "John B, look I'm sorry man, about everything."

"It's fine." John B shrugged.

"But- but I don't have a lot of time." Pope explained. "And I have information that is tactically relevant. Before my interview my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms, for Cameron's big plane." Ava shot the boy a look, not grasping how this was tactically relevant. "Because it was too heavy and need a longer runway to take off. So. I'm there sitting in my interview, thinking to myself, 'Hm, why does Cameron need a bigger runway to take off? What could be so heavy to weigh it down?' "

JJ and John B sat up. "Gold." JJ realized.

John B nodded. "That's right."

Pope hopped up excitedly, clapping his hands. "Exactly. Guys this is our chance, but it leaves tonight, and we have to go."