ii. the chateau

SOMETHING NEW
Chapter Two: The Chateau

PULLING UP TO John B's, Ava was the first one out of the van running to her home next door to grab her stash. "Hey, slow down Roadrunner!" JJ called after the girl with a smile. That was something about Ava, she loved running and boy were her feet fast. If she could, Ava would run anywhere and everywhere. Not only was she quick on her feet she was a quick thinker, with her and Pope in the crew there was basically nothing the Pouges couldn't get done.

Ava jumped over the railing on her porch wasting no time going around, she swung the front door open which she usually kept unlocked since there was nothing of value in the small house. Who robs people from The Cut anyway? Ava placed her thumb and index finger in her mouth and drew a sharp whistle to call her dog. Cammy was a German Shepard that Ava had found and rescued. "Hey, Cam." The girl used a baby voice while talking to the dog who jumped on her and licked her face. "Okay, okay, that's enough." Ava pushed the dog off of her going into her kitchen and opening the cabinet above the stove and pulling out a bag of weed that she shoved into the pocket of her shorts. Cammy barked and Ava laughed. "I know right?" She called to the dog before moving into her bedroom and grabbing a small blanket that she wrapped herself in.

Ava opened the door for her dog who bolted outside and over to John's house. The blue haired girl smiled as she heard John B, JJ, Pope and Kie all laughing as they greeted Cammy. When Ava walked inside she saw JB hugging the dog. "Hey baby. Who's a good girl? You are, yes you are." She laughed quietly at the scene in front of her.

"I always knew you loved Cam more than me." Ava smirked, sitting down on the couch between John and Pope. "JJ?" She called as he was about to sit down.

He looked up but she wasn't looking at him. "What?" JJ asked as Cammy laid down by his feet.

"I need papers, and a tray." Ava said pulling the bag of weed out of her pocket, her blanket hanging off her shoulders. JJ nodded reaching for his backpack, out of which he pulled out rolling papers and a small book. Ava smiled in thanks taking the objects from his hands and placing them on the coffee table. Ava was the best roller the crew had, next to JJ of course who was petting Cammy under the table. Ava began breaking up the weed into shake, she prepared a couple papers and then began assembling tiny masterpieces.

Kie walked into the living room and sat on a chair placing cold unopened beers on the coffee table. "I love watching you roll." She complimented, Ava looked up in the middle of licking a paper to shoot Kie a wink.

When Ava finished she gave one joint to John B and passed him a lighter. After he sparked his up he handed the lighter back to her so she could get her own joint lit. They passed both joints in a circle skipping Pope since he didn't smoke. Ava grabbed a beer and opened it, hitting a joint then taking a swig. After the joints were smoked down to roaches and Ava polished off another beer she stood with her blanket and made her way outside to the hammock, Cammy trailing after the faded girl. She looked up at the stars, a peaceful quiet surrounded her and in the moment she felt safe enough to think of her father. Andrew Blake had passed away nearly two years ago, he was in a boating accident that got him and his crew mates killed. Her mother was still around, but never really around. The woman had been gone for three days now, out on a drinking binge to cope with the loss of her husband. Ava knew she would be back soon though, the longest she would ever be gone was two weeks at the most. "Hey." JJ called to girl, sitting in the hammock with her.

"Hey." Ava quietly mumbled back, looking at him with soft blue eyes.

JJ placed a hand on her knee. "What's going on in that pretty head?" He questioned.

She sat up to make more room for JJ. "I just-" Ava sighed leaning into the boy's warmth. "I was thinking of my parents." JJ knew that Ava missed her father and that her mother was MIA at the moment, but the Pouges were her family. He wrapped his arm around her, he kissed the top of her head and she stiffened.

"Sorry." He whispered. "I know you don't like-"

"No, no. It's okay." She straightened herself to meet his eyes, a bright smile adorned her face. Her eyes red and hazy, being very high was helping her stay calm. "I mean, if I'm going to be kissing anyone, I think it should be you."

"We're high." JJ said.

Ava nodded. "And drunk." Under the hammock, Cammy barked. The two teens laughed lightly, moments like these were ones Ava wished could last forever. She knew, however, that they wouldn't. "Maybe I should go home, in case my mom decides to show up tonight."

"What? No." JJ opposed shaking his head. "Just stay here with me." He brought his hand to Ava's cheek, their eyes locked as the girl's breath began to pick up as she thought maybe, just maybe, she should kiss him.

The fingers of her right hand wrapped around his wrist, her other hand resting on the back of his neck, finger nails lightly dragging through his hair. "JJ." She whispered, inching ever so slightly closer.

His eyes closed, the sound of his name rolling off of Ava's tounge calmed him. He knew kissing her would be wrong, but how could something that would feel so right be wrong? "Ava, I can't." He told her, opening his eyes.

"I know, JJ." She nodded, resting her forehead against his. They weren't in the right headspace, they both understood that. JJ could wait, and if that meant she would be okay and trust him with something that was serious to her, he would wait.