xiii. grave robbers

SOMETHING NEW
Chapter Thirteen: Grave Robbers

"SHE'S NOT COMING." Ava told the boys in the van walking down the steps of The Wreck. The Wreck was a restaurant owned by Kie's father, Kie was inside painting when Ava had tried to get her to come along on whatever John B had planned.

"Why not?" JJ scoffed looked toward his best friend. "What'd you do to her, John B?" He accused as Ava slid the back door open.

"Shit." John B leaned forward, head in hands.

Ava rolled her eyes. "JB, what the hell happened?" She questioned.

"I kissed her." He finally said, Ava's mouth dropped opened in surprise.  "Just hang on. I'll deal with it."

Ava sat back in shock. So much for the rules. She thought to herself as JJ turned around to smirk at her. "What?" He didn't say anything only moved back to sit next to her, JJ wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

___

"A cemetery?" Ava shook her head. "It's dark and we're going to a cemetery? Have none of you seen any horror movie ever made?" She questioned from her place next to JJ, throwing her head back against the seat a groan escaping her.

"You mind if I just relax on this one?" JJ asked lighting up his joint. "It's been a long day and a lot of weird stuff's gone down. I'm just gonna lay low. Oh, did you want a hit of this?" He offered the joint to Pope.

"I keep the signal clear." Pope declined.

Ava shrugged reaching over and taking the joint from JJ. "Don't mind if I do." She smoke happily, although her nerves still made her uneasy about going to a cemetery in the dark.

"Dude, do you understand, that your problem is that you don't get creative?" JJ asked Pope. "If you got creative, then-"

John B quickly cut the stoned boy off. "Look, I know I was wrong about the lighthouse, alright? And pretty much wrong about everything else, but I was right about one thing, okay? My dad is trying to tell me something."

They pulled up to the cemetery all getting out and passing around flashlights. Ava turned her's on and shone the beam over the many head stones. "I see dead people." She whispered causing confused looks to be shot her way. "What? Oh my God. You've never watched the Sixth Sense?" They all shook their heads. "Uncultured, all of you."

John B rolled his eyes. "Come on, let's go." The group walked deeper into the cemetery, none of them knowing what they were looking for except John B.

"This place is scary." Kie spoke quietly, looking around. "John B, what are we doing?" She asked.

"Okay so you know how you're trying to remember a song and you can't remember who sings it?" John B questioned looking back at Kie.

She nodded. "Yeah."

"So, Redfield." The boy started. "This whole time, I thought it was a place, right? But it's not a place." He stopped in front of a crypt that had the name Redfield carved into the stone. "It's a person."

"Voi-effing-lá." JJ nodded with a smile.

"See, my great great grandmother, Olivia Redfield. It was her maiden name." John B explained.

"Okay? Now what?" Ava lifted her hands in question. "We almost get arrested for grave robbing too?"

Ignoring the comment, John B moved forward. "Help me with the door, come on." Pope joined John B.