xix. minor disappointments

SOMETHING NEW
Chapter Nineteen: Minor Disappointments

AVA WOKE UP in JJ's arms, it was still dark outside but they were the only ones left, the others must have gone inside. She looked up toward the sky but there were no stars, covered by thick storm clouds that rumbled with thunder. Ava glanced back at the sleeping boy next to her, he always looked less worried when he slept, calmer, more tranquil.

He stirred, a sigh coming from him. "Ava?" JJ's deep, tired voiced called quietly as his fingers tightened around the material of her shirt, as is if she might slip away, he pulled her closer.

"I'm right here." Ava brushed through his hair, her cold hand resting on the side of his warm neck, her thumb running over his jaw.

"Are you okay? Why are you awake?" He asked in a whisper, opening his eyes.

"Just thinking."

"Wanna talk about it?" JJ wondered, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"My mom said she's gonna get sober." Ava softly told him, it was her turn to close her eyes.

"Do you believe her?" His voice was so quiet that he was unsure if she had even heard the question.

Ava shrugged though. "Not really." She said, just as quietly as he had spoke. "J?" Ava murmured.

"Yeah, beautiful?" The girl instantly smiled, making JJ smile widely.

"What did Pope mean? When he said he took care of it?" Ava asked, opening her eyes to meet his. "What happened?"

"Ava, I wasn't there. But I do know that they beat him, stole the shit he had to deliver and left him there. Sarah's crazy ass brother hit in the back with a golf club." JJ spat out, louder than intended. He quickly got angry as he remembered how Pope described what went down, his blood beginning to boil as he struggled to get out of the hammock, Ava scrambling after him as he made his way to the end of the dock. "He sunk the boat." He was quiet as he looked out at the water.

"What boat, JJ?" Ava questioned, looking at him hoping he would look at her too.

JJ never removed his eyes from the water. "Topper's."

"What?" Her hands ran through her hair. "JJ, please tell me you're lying." He wasn't looking at her and it made Ava mad. "JJ, they have power on Figure Eight, cameras!" She hissed. "Are you stupid, how could you not think of that?"

That's when JJ snapped. "Do not call me stupid, Ava!" He shouted, no longer caring if he raised his voice or not. He knew sometimes that he could make dumb decisions, and he had to pay for that. But one of his best friends and been jumped by Kooks, there was no way he was going to let that fly. "I'm not stupid."

JJ had never yelled directly at her before, she had seen him go off before but his anger hadn't been spat at her. "JJ, I didn't-"

"Just don't. We have a lot to get done tomorrow, you should get some more sleep." He stalked off to The Chateau, Ava just stood there watching him go, upset with herself. She didn't sleep at all, she watched the sunrise as she thought of how to get JJ to forgive her.

___

That morning as his best friend was waking up, JJ was already up and making coffee. "Dude?" John B asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "What the hell are you doing?"