five

Chapter 5

It was still dark out when they heard the shrill high pitched scream. Kagome bolted up, her body struggling against the large arm that had been tossed over her slim waist. Her body protested at the movement, more than willing to stay curled up into the source of warmth that was plastered against her back.

Sometime during the night Sang-Wook must have fallen asleep and snuggled up to her, his larger from spooning her smaller one, his arms wrapped firmly around her small waist, one hand under the fabric of her shirt dangerously close to her the underside of her breast.

Not that she had any real chance of realizing it as her body snapped into motion, old habits flaring to life, she rolled onto her feet and was stumbling towards the door, throwing it open as her eyes seared at the light that met them.

“Help me please someone anyone!!!!” The pure terror in the voice made her heart lurch and flashes of burning villages and the spray of  blood flashed in her mind's eye.

Sang-Wook could only curse as he sat up, his mind muddled and confused, watching the raven hair of his previous couch partner flutter behind her as she ran like the dogs of hell were nipping on her heels. He was on his feet in an instant running after her, cursing himself for falling asleep. His body moved gogrily yet he willed it to move faster, his muscles aching at the sudden shift from relaxed warmth to cold hard adrenaline.

Practically tearing the door to the stairwell off its hinges he did his best to catch up with the small spit fire of a woman that his body longed to pull back into its embrace.

Kagome was moving on pure instinct, adrenaline rushing through her veins as the sobbing cries grew closer, deafening as many others joined its chorus in her head. All the blood and chaos of the past few hours had stirred to life memories and feelings she thought had left behind.

With them came the dull ache of failure, of a need to make up for all those that she had let down.

Let die.

The scene she stumbled upon made her heart freeze, there huddled on the ground was a school girl, no older looking then she had been when her own innocence had been ripped from her, she was on the ground one hand wrapped around her ankle as her other was held out in front of her as if it would make the lumbering female stop its advancement.

The monster was female in stature, its body hunched over, blood stained greasy spools of black hair covered its face as it inched closer, its joints creaking with every jerky movement it made.

“Huuuungry!!!” The shrill shriek was garbled and sounded so desperate and longing that it made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. She ran her aura over it, feeling that sick tainted feeling that was so entwined with its aura. That was then that it hit her. This thing...it had been human, but it had come down with the same sickness she had seen in the security guard...hell it hadn’t just given it.

It had welcomed it, merging fully with it...

Yet it was still human at its very core, just different, more primal and dark and...

She was pulled from her thoughts as the school girl noticed her and let a dry heaving sob. “Help!!” Her body moved on its own, racing forward to get between the young woman and the...female. Wrapping her arms around the trembling form she threw up a barrier, there was a very large chance that her powers would be useless at keeping this creature at bay, just as they had been useless at purifying the other monster that had almost killed her yesterday, because no matter how dark it felt or how twisted it had become it was still very much human.

The sheer killing intent as it came barreling towards her made her body tense, this was it. This was how she died? After everything she had been through, everything she had overcome, demons, curses, and a very bitter sentient jewel she would be killed by a mutated human...the irony wasn’t lost on her.