Chapter Eight

Pure unadulterated horror filled her every cell, watching as if in slow motion as the large lumbering monster lifted its arm, lashing out with its hand swatting at Hyun-Su like he was nothing more than a fly.

The sickling sound of bones cracking echoed in her ears as his body soared through the air, slamming into the wall causing it to crumble as he smashed into it. His name fell from her mouth as a high pitched primal scream.

Had her throat not burned from the loud wailing sound she would be hard pressed to believe that a human could make such a horrid sounding noise. Burning hot tears blurred her vision as they blazed a trail down her face cutting through the blood and grime that was caked on it.

She wanted nothing more than to run to his side, to shove what little of her powers she had left into him but she knew from past experience that there was no way he could survive a blow like that.

No one could.

The thought was sobering and it snapped her out of her fear induced panic.

She didn't have time for this, no she had to get the kids out of there. If she didn't then his sacrifice would be for nothing and she could not and would not allow that to happen. She forced herself to tear her gaze from the hole in the cement wall, trying to not picture his broken and bleeding body, and instead shoved at the kids with trembling hands.

"Go, get to the apartment, run and don't look back." They quickly scampered to their feet, Su-Yeong grabbing at her brother's arm to try to shove him ahead of her. His own shaking hands tugging at Kagome's wrist. She gave him a small smile as she pulled away from him shaking her head.

"Don't worry about me, go. I'll catch up." She knew it was a lie, hell they all knew it was a lie yet she refused to let the fear she was feeling show, she would send them off with a smile. Pulling herself up to stand on swaying feet she turned towards the monster who was now picking up its lumbering pace, it's bloody grin widening at the prospect of tearing into her.

"Come with us big sis!" Yeong-Su moved to latch onto her wrist again yet she brushed him off, her back facing him as she ignored both of them. He was scared, he didn't know what to do but he knew he didn't want to leave her behind. The thought made his knees shake as he tried his best to dig his heels in against his sisters tugging to grab Kagome's wrist to make her go with them.

He didn't want to lose anyone else, it wasn't fair!!

Kagome was hard pressed to not turn towards the two children, their fear clouding her senses, chipping away at her resolve to not pull them into her arms and comfort them.

Yet she knew if she did not hold the line then not only would she be damning herself but them as well and she would do her best to be sure they survived. Squaring her shoulders she dug deep down inside of her gathering what scarps of power she could find and steeled herself,

"Run!" The word was barked out, harsh and loud as it made the two children bolt into action, their rushed footsteps echoing in her ears as they finally obeyed her.

Satisfied that they would get a head start she dug deep, pulling on her anger and sadness, willing the ragging feelings to fuel her resolve and in turn her powers. This was it, her last stand and while she didn't know if it would be enough for the children to fully get to safety she knew that in the end she had given it her all.

Briefly she wondered how pissed off Sang-Wook would be when she never kept her promise to catch up, would he be sad? Mad? Or would he just compartmentalize her passing and move on like nothing was wrong?

She would like to think he would be a little bit upset but she knew that was her own selfish thinking. Throwing her hands out in front of her she watched as a barrier slowly flickered to life, the color dull and lighter than normal.