Chapter Seven

Su-Yeong bit her lower lip, their father had told them to stay put until he came back. Sadly there was no way he would ever be coming back and this woman, Kagome, had come to their aid. She had swept in like a hero from one of their storybooks, she came in ready to protect them and she didn't even know them.

No one who was bad would do that right?

Kagome could see the worry flashing through the small girl's eyes, could see the gears churning and gave a small smile as she placed her hands on her knees and leaned forward a bit, gaining the children's attention. "I know it's scary, there are monsters everywhere but I know a place that is safer. We can rest and get cleaned up." She didn't want to promise them full safety because she doubted there was ever going to be a truly safe place left in the world.

But they didn't need to know that, no they needed to be told there was still hope and as long as there was still breath in her lungs she would be damn sure they never gave up. "Once we're all rested and patched up we can come back and grab anything you forget."

Yeong-Su shifted his feet as he held his elder sister's hand. He knew she was scared of leaving, he was too, but big sis Kagome made him feel safe and protected and he really didn't want her to leave them behind.

"Do you promise?" He knew it was a silly thing to ask, promises could be broken....their father promised to come back and now he was gone. Even so, just to hear her say the words would make him feel better and he knew his sister felt the same way.

Giving the two children a genuine smile she nodded, holding her left hand up as she placed her right one over her heart. "Promise." She paused to let the word sink in, lowering her hands only after the two children gave their own smiles. "Now, let's grab some stuff. Pack some clothes and whatever you need for the next few days. Be quick but quiet."

The kids nodded as they moved to their bedroom to empty their school bags and fill them with clothes and what not. Watching them rush down the hall she forced herself to stand up, her joints creaking in protest, standing she glanced around and spotted a gym bag under the table. She grabbed it and set it on the table, grimacing as she removed soiled sweaty gym clothes and a pair of dirty shoes.

Saying a small prayer for the man who had once owned the items she turned on her heel and began to root through the cupboards, taking out any and all can food she could find. Six cans of tuna and five cans of various vegetables later she rummaged in the draw to grab a can opener and a few sets of silverware. Depositing them in the bag she moved to the fridge and opened it, ignoring all the produce that would spoil quickly she focused on the bottled water and juice boxes. Grabbing them she tossed them inside the bad and zipped it up just as the kids came back.

Shouldering the bag she smiled at them as she moved towards them. "Wait right here, I'm going to check the bathroom." They nodded and she patted their heads as she moved into the bathroom, flicking on the light she was met with water toys and spongebob square pants towels. Giving a small smile she placed the duffle bag on the toilet seat and opened it again.

She grabbed some towels and other first aid items, placing them in the bag, her body on autopilot as she tried to formulate a new plan. Her old tentative one was fucked.

There was no way she would be able to make it to her uncle's anytime soon. The amount of monsters running about was more then she had anticipated and they were each so very different yet they all held one thing in common, their need to kill and eat what few humans were left.

To get from here to the other side of town on foot was a fool's errand, add in the fact that she had no idea if her family was alive, let alone still human....there was no real point in her making her return to the two story home her priority. No, her new priority was getting these kids back to Hyun-Su's apartment. After which she would try to find Sang-Wook and the schoolgirl.