》At long last 《

Warnings: angst, language,

~~~

"The sunset is beautiful, isn't it?" Ponk murmured, letting the words slip from his mouth like the tears that rolled down his face. The platinum blonde male sniffled, his sad smile facade breaking into that of a broken expression of pure grief. The young man sank to his knees at the trunk of his favorite lemon tree, his memories reminiscing of a lighter time, a happier time, with the man he just couldn't let go of. His dark green curls and toned body were forever stuck in Ponk's mind, his handsome face, and entrancing eyes making themself at home deep within the young man's broken thoughts. I still love you... The thought circled around in his head for what felt likes hours on end, but were actually just fleeting moments he spent knelt there.

As the sweet words fall from your mouth,
Rejoice in the feelings they bring.
Do not let them wither away into the dust of a once forgotten conversation,
The dust of a long forgotten timeline.

Ponk stayed knelt there for some time, his eyes squeezed shut tight, and his hands on his head. "To forget is to forgive, but I am not the forgiving type, am I?" He spoke quietly with himself, the words he uttered spinning the cogs inside the impressive machine that was his mind. "No... I am not..." he breathed out, lifting his head and inhaling deeply, the scent of earth and lemons reaching his nose. Ponk arose from his place on the ground, brushing himself off as if the dirt were an infectious substance, he then made his way to a cliff he normally went to. The young man took a seat at the cliff edge and crossed his legs, taking a slow and deep breath with his eyes closed. He then began to utter words he should have told the one he couldn't let go of, the one he still loved. It was to relieve him of the stress he held, and it worked just as well as a quill on paper,

Though I cannot let go of my love for you, it does not mean that you may take advantage of that fact.
Though we may have once been deeply in love, we are no longer and I no longer wish to lead you on accidentally, it is my fault for doing so.
But the things you have taken from me, my hand, my love, my other things, are the cemented stopping point of us.
Oh, how badly I wish to run back to your arms, hear you purr sweet nothings in my ear, feel your strong arms around me, feel safe once more...
I cannot...
I must stop us here, now, for the sake of our wellbeings.
We cannot go on like this, for one of us will hurt the other in a worse, unrepairable way than what you have hurt me.
Instead of a hand, it could be a life.
Sam, I will love you forevermore.
My love undying for you, shall be let to wither away upon the grounds of cold protection, the cold protection of my heart.
Please do not mourn our broken love...
For it was never meant to be.

Ponk opened his eyes and stared straight ahead, out into the neverending land before him. "Heh, now I'm talking to myself in an almost poetic way..." the young man sighed, an embarrassed smile slithering its way across his reddened face. Ponk stared deep into the forest below him, gripping the cliff edge tightly with a grip that seemed weak, like it wanted to let go. He inhaled deeply before gently pushing himself forward and slipping off of the cliff edge, and down.

A soft thud met Ponk's ears as he landed perfectly on a small ledge quite a distance beneath the cliff edge. He laid down upon it and looked up to the sky, admiring the way the sun bounced off of the cliffside and made some of the minerals within the rocks shine like stars.

"There's the Big Dipper," Sam murmured, his silky soft voice making Ponk smile sleepily and cuddle closer to the creeper hybrid, inhaling his scent unconsciously. The smaller lifted a hand towards the starlit sky, "A shooting star!" He had perked up now at that, no longer sleepy. A soft, rumbling chuckle made its way out of Sam's mouth, "Make a wish!!" Ponk exclaimed, his eyes lighting up. "Hmm..." Sam paused, staring up at the sky and contemplating what he would wish for, "I wish for us to have a happy life together, maybe eventually settle down with Toms..." "Aww, Saaaaaam!! You big fluffball!!" Ponk wrapped his arms around Sam, hugging him tightly and burying his face in the warden's chest fluff that spilled over the top of his tank top. Sam returned the hug, pulling the duo back onto the ground, laughing softly as Ponk giggled.

Ponk sighed, the rush of air sending a small hair flying from his mask. The masked man caught the hair and brought it close to his eyes, examining it. The piece of hair was a light green, with a shimmery dark green near the top. It was some of Sam's fur. "Fuck," the phrase came out as more of a growl as the small male stared at the fragile piece of fur that he held between his pointer finger and thumb. "The truth is... I miss you... I miss... us..." tears began to prink at Ponk's eyes once more, he just let them well up and slip down his cheeks. As he began to weep, lost in the reminiscent haze of a memory, the wind carried his choked back sobs away, making it seem more quiet for him, as if mother nature were trying to comfort him with a loving hand. Ponk sniffed quietly, letting the tears continue to stream down his face as he sat there on the ledge, pulling his knees close to his chest and burying his head in them. It reminded him of the times when Sam would comfort him, pulling him into a tight hug, Ponk would bury his face in Sam's shoulder every time. But he was alone again now, fending for himself, crying by himself, crying for the things he had lost by himself.

It was a neverending cycle of grief for the poor young man.