Chapter 19: We're Here

"Thank you, and goodnight!" I yelled, taking my bow. It felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. The first night of the tour was over, and it went perfectly. I waited until I was lowered back under the stage and then I felt a hand in mine. It was Amy, who quickly guided me through the darkness, further backstage for the deconstruct once again. Her and I hadn't spoken since my outburst this morning. I didn't know what came over me and I felt bad about it. 

After all, she didn't do anything wrong.

"I'm not mad at you." I finally said, holding my arms up as she quickly lifted my shirt over my head. She peeked up at me with wide eyes.
"Okay, good." She said quietly, without missing a beat. "I just.. I'm sorry. I just thought, after what you told me about Jake, I thought it would be okay, but.. you clearly have feelings for Sam and I would never want to overstep, I just-" I cut her off.
"Wait, w-what do you mean?" I asked. She stopped, staring back up at me with wide eyes, biting down on her lip.
"I mean... well..." She shrugged, giving me a "what do you want me to say?" look. I felt my cheeks burning.
"You.. you obviously do. Which is fine. I can't say I blame you. I've never seen anyone be as great with you the way he's been. So I guess I just don't understand... why you're fooling around with Jake when.. you and Sam are clearly obsessed with each other." She giggled to herself. I felt my stomach drop.

"We are not obsessed with each other. We're.. we're friends." She nodded, looking away with a smirk.
"You can do a lot of things, Juliette. But.. you can't lie to me." My entire face was burning. Amy reached up, tying my hair into a tight bun, pulling the baseball cap over and handing me my sunglasses. I sighed, staring back at her for a moment.

"Look, I don't know what you're going through." She said quietly. "And I know I never will. But I can tell you.. you have never looked at anyone the way you look at Sam. And you deserve whatever feeling he clearly gives you." I sighed, looking away, putting my sunglasses on.
"Well.. even if I did, he.. doesn't see me like that." I muttered. She smirked at me, shaking her head.
"Have you noticed how he hasn't even looked at another girl since they got here? And trust me, I've tried." She laughed to herself. "He's a perfect gentlemen, but.. he looks right through everyone. Everyone but you." 

I could feel my cheeks burning again as a small smile escaped my lips.

"I'm sure Jake is very sweet, and.. maybe you're just getting something out of your system. I don't know what goes on between you and Don, but I could only imagine that it gets lonely. So no one can blame you for searching for what Don lacks but.." She shrugged again, taking my hand. "Everyone can see it. Whether you two want to admit it or not." My stomach dropped.

Amy guided me down the hall where we were met with the guys at the back door. Sam turned around as he heard us walk up. He gave me a half smile. Amy peeked over at me, and then looked back to Sam.

"Sam, can you help Juliette onto the bus? I've gotta finish clearing out the dressing room." I smirked at her. She gave me a wink before sprinting back down the hallway. 

I knew there was nothing left in the dressing rooms.

"Oh, yeah, sure." He said, his smile growing as he made his way over. I could see Jake shooting me a look out of the corner of my eye, but I pretended not to see.
"You sure you want me?" He whispered. I reached over, sliding my hand into his, intertwining our fingers.
"Yes." I sighed, keeping my eyes forward. I felt his grip get tighter. Jake peeked back from the doors, eventually making his way over to us.

"Hey, I can help her." He said, shooting me another look. I bit down on my lip, hoping he couldn't see my eyes through my sunglasses.
"Amy asked me to." Sam said plainly.