𝒆 𝒙 𝒄 𝒆 𝒓 𝒑 𝒕

Let's play a game

Let's play a game...
Just you and I

A pair of tidy, red converse trudged onto a horrifically gory crime scene. Unquestionably, one can only imagine what truly lies within such a merciless setting. The victim was propped in an armchair with his face covered in duct tape. The detective could see a struggle from the blood on his knuckles and his missing fingernail that exposed the spongy muscle underneath.

On the hundreds of layers of duct tape was a message written carefully in the victim's blood: No more lies. It was sadistic as it was predictable.

It could almost be portrayed as a cheesy 80s slasher film. Scene set, the evil antagonist murders the babysitter and her boyfriend. At the same time, they were too busy humping each other's brains out. Because, as previously stated in the detective's favorite 90s slasher film, Scream, you may not survive the movie if you have sex.

It's common knowledge. So, the serial killer takes a giant, sharp kitchen knife with hushed footing, raises the knife over his head, and plunges it so far into the boyfriend's back that it hits the girlfriend.

He slices through layers of skin and fat before he earns the prize of their souls. But it wasn't the set of some new Hollywood movie; it was reality. And it happened a lot more frequently than most people think.

Especially in a city like Gotham.

She stood in the middle of the crime scene with a hand on her hip. She listened to the shuttering of the camera, the hushed whispers of her colleagues, and finally zoned into the scene.

That was until she heard the heavy sounds of black combat boots kissing the glass on the floor around them. The detective on sight didn't flinch at the shards beneath their foot. She was different than most her age. People say she was an old soul trapped in the body of a young woman. She was known for connecting to her crime scenes as if the perpetrator and the young detective shared one mind. It's as if she had seen countless horrors that didn't faze her until this one.

She snapped her green eyes open at the sound, agitated that she was yanked away from seeing her version of what happened. She turned around to be met with a symbol in the shape of a Bat. She had met the shadow of Gotham, one time, in the middle of an alleyway. She had just escaped out the window of a beaten bar from a date that was turning bad.

She had such a bad turn of events; the guys in the alley about to rob and rape her had another thing coming. She took down two thugs, leaving the other two worse for wear. One grabbed her by the back of the head and slammed her face into the brick wall. That's when the shadow jumped down from the roof and viciously beat them until they couldn't move.

The detective was scared. She wasn't frightened that he was a tall male, dressed head to toe in black combat gear, and swooped in to save her. He had seen her sneaking out the bar window and waited to see what she'd do next. When she found herself in trouble, he dropped down to save her. It wasn't valiantly either. It was angry and aggressive. Bones were breaking, screams silenced into breaths of pain, etc. The detective wasn't scared about what happened to her, not as much as this new predicament. She was most frightened about how angry he was.

She slowly turned her green-eyed gaze to meet the shadow's empty ones, but she liked to call him The Batman. All the eyes within the room were glued to the two strangers before them. She could feel he was studying her like she was some book. "You're new." He finally spoke with a harsh tone.

"You are too." The detective answered back with a raised brow. "Detective Kent." She introduced herself while holding her hand out for him to shake. It was a formality her father made her practice with everyone she met. It was a sign of respect, a sign the Batman didn't quite catch.

He didn't acknowledge her name, just simply turning to the chocolate man coming up to talk to them. "Looks like you two have a secret admirer." A voice drawled out from behind them. With her white latex gloves snug on her hands, the detective carefully grabbed the small white card from her colleague.

Jim Gordon was his name, the first man ever to respectfully welcome her to the police departments. She grabbed the note from his hand before furrowing her perfectly shaped brows. The newly formed crease on her brow bones created a knot that stayed put when she tried to relax her face again. The card was unopened, leaving the detective to do the work herself.

Batman's read, To the Batman, while hers read, To Detective Kent, my sweetheart, with three eerie little hearts. Detective Jessica Jolene Kent was never one to be highly perturbed at a sight. Maybe when she first joined the force in Metropolis, Gotham was home to pushing the limit of every detective.

"Quite the little admirer." The detective humbled to herself before carefully pulling open the tab. Batman stood in front of her like a ghost, watching her open the card. He had been so quiet; she forgot he was even there.

Inside, she pulled out a hallmark card that married couples give to one another upon their anniversaries. Her parents did that very same ritual which made the detective more uncomfortable. "So, it wasn't a lover's quarrel gone explicitly wrong." She sighed while reading the front of the card.

Jim huffed to himself in amusement. "When is it ever that easy?"

"Wishful thinking." She smiled.

Almost afraid to ask, Jim motioned to the card. "What does it say?"

Detective Kent breathed through her nose a little roughly. "It's my favorite quote." She started. "It's from City of Angels."

Another detective from across the room snorted. "Of course, the farm girl loves romance movies."

"And the oldest in my team just got off desk duty." She growled back, silencing the rude officer. He went back to his task, grumbling while he was at it. With a sigh, she looked back at Jim. "The quote is, I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it." She swallowed thickly. "How could they have known that?"

"You're the expert, you tell me." Jim shrugged.

Jess made a move to open the card. "My dearest detective, welcome to the darkened hole of Gotham City. Why must you turn your impeccable beauty to this bastardly city?" She paused with wide eyes. "I'm gonna skip this part..." She mumbled as it began to get graphically explicit. She cleared her throat before continuing after a few lines. "So, my beloved, if you are justice, please do not lie..." She pursed her lips while looking at her new, unwanted partner. "Let's play a game, just you and I."

𝐃𝐄 𝐓 𝐄 𝐂 𝐓 𝐈 𝐕 𝐄
2022