ALTERNATE ENDING

Two shots were fired, one directly at Bruce's chest and the other directed at the man

Two shots were fired, one directly at Bruce's chest and the other directed at the man. The first bullet bounced off Bruce's armor with a loud clink, followed by a bright spark. The second shot lodged itself into the man's shoulder, nothing fatal. Before he could fire another one, Bruce kicked the handgun out of his hand. Jess lowered her gun with a hard stare.

"Is everyone okay?" Jim asked with wide eyes, head snapping back and forth to see if anyone was on the ground.

Each person touched their chest, making sure nothing was bleeding. "I think so," Selina mumbled. She turned her head to look at Jess before freezing.

"What?" Jess asked with a raised brow. When she looked down at her chest, there was a giant red spot blooming across her white tank top right in the center of her shirt. "I, um..." She suddenly felt pale. "I'm okay... I'm..."

Bruce's eyes widened in realization at what had happened. When the bullet was shot, it hit his right shoulder, bouncing off to perfectly lodge itself into Jess's chest. The adrenaline of the situation stopped her from feeling the bullet slap into her chest. The pain hadn't hit her yet either, but when it did, there was nothing in the world she could use to describe the burning ache that followed.

She thought about it as taking an extremely hot chunk of metal straight from a furnace and plunging it deep within her skin. She couldn't scream since the pain wouldn't allow her to. She twitched for a second before falling to the side, right off the edge of the rafters. "No!" Selina screamed.

Bruce pushed through the officers, jumping down to grab her. Once he grabbed hold of her, he shot his grappling hook into the lowest rafters. He swung them up onto the landing, scooting into the darkness where no one could see them. He wrapped his arms around her waist to support her in his lap.

"Go get a medic!" Jim shouted from above. "We're coming, kid. Just hold on!" There was fear in his old voice, intangible fear that he knew she had used up the last bit of her luck.

Jess stared up at Bruce with wide eyes. "I'm gonna die...." She whimpered, coughing up a wad of blood. She could see him, the grim reaper, as he stood over them in the void of his grey robes. He did nothing but just watch her struggle to stay alive.

Bruce ripped off his mask, hair sticking up in multiple places with his eye makeup streaking down his cheekbones from the sweat on his face. He pushed away the fallen strains of her hair out of Jess's face to reveal her skin was pale at the amount of blood she lost so quickly. "Everything is okay...." He whispered, mostly to himself, as he lifted his hand to see it was soaked with warm blood that cooled in the night's air. "You're not gonna die; look at me." Bruce pressed his hand over her wound frantically. It was right in the center of her chest, crashing through her breastbone and piercing the throbbing muscles. "You got through worse, yeah?" He gave her a small smile, masking it behind the terror coursing through him. "You just need to stay awake."

"Okay..." She wheezed. "I... can do that." Her breath stuttered for a second as the threads of her soul were beginning to be cut one by one with the scythe of the reaper. She was out of time. "I love... love you, Bruce." She gave a painful smile. "I..."