𝒕 𝒘 𝒆 𝒏 𝒕 𝒚 - 𝒐 𝒏 𝒆

The sun was beginning to rise over the skyline, almost in time for Batman to go back into hiding

The sun was beginning to rise over the skyline, almost in time for Batman to go back into hiding. It also gave Selina enough time to talk to Jess long after Bruce disappeared underground if need be. "To fill you in, Annika is dead." Bruce blurted out.

Jess blinked in confusion. "What?!" She gasped. "Why didn't you tell me?" With no response, Jess pinched the unarmored skin under his arm.

He swatted her hand away with a glare. "Don't."

"Are you gonna answer me?" He wasn't, which was what bothered her the most. "Ugh, I can't stand you." She grumbled in exasperation.

The loud opening of the elevator doors caught both of their attention. Jess turned her gaze to see Selina in a black jumpsuit and a pair of matching color-wedged boots. "Cat burglar pulling another score?" Bruce asked gruffly.

She ripped off her mask to reveal a pixie cut and walked toward them. "What?"

"Wasn't sure I'd see you again."

"Yeah, well, things aren't so hot for me either." Selina huffed. She turned her sights to Jess, who seemed just as annoyed as she was. "So, you must be the detective." She started off. Those green eyes haunted her since she first saw them were right in front of her, and she couldn't be more thrilled. "You're prettier as a blonde."

Jess felt her eye twitch. "And you're prettier with your mouth closed."

The sultry walk Selina had attained was paired with a smirk. When Selina stopped in front of the detective, Jess tried to remain as unimpressed as possible. On the inside, the brunette's heart was beating like a racehorse. "I like you." She hummed, running her fingers through the ends of Jess's hair. "I bet you're a little gay disaster inside, aren't you?"

Redirecting the conversation to get Selina off her back, Jess gave a deep breath through her nose. "I heard about Annika."

She watched the anger resurface in Selina's caramel skin. "How could they do that to her?" She scoffed as she began to pace back and forth. "That piece of shit cop, Kenzie...." She cursed, her teeth grinding along with one another. It clicked in Jess's head. That's why she wanted her to tag along. "Her body was in his car. I'm gonna find him, and I'm gonna make him pay. Are you two gonna help me or not?"

"Help you?" Bruce jumped in with his eyes narrowed.

"Yeah," Selina furrowed her brows. "I thought you were all about vengeance," She nodded her head in Jess's direction. "And you about justice."

Jess stuffed her hands in her back pockets. "Look, Selina, your friend, got caught up with the wrong people. She didn't know any better; she was only 23."

"Maybe you should have explained it to her," Bruce said gruffly.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Bats," Jess warned, but it went unheard since he continued.

"It means your choice has consequences."