𝒕 𝒘 𝒐

There was always an unexplainable bond between Clark and Jess, something that felt spiritually binding

There was always an unexplainable bond between Clark and Jess, something that felt spiritually binding. Their mother, Martha, speculated that it was because they were twins, but Jess remained skeptical. Without any concrete evidence or documentation, she couldn't accept the claim. They could just be two kids, found together, who happened to look alike. Jess was a firm believer in hardcore facts over vague assertions.

But deep down, Clark knew they were more than just found siblings. He could feel it in his soul. They were inseparable, always by each other's side no matter what they did or where they went. If Jess was sick, Clark would experience the same symptoms shortly after, and vice versa. So when Jess heard the words "there's been an accident" over the phone, she felt a chill run down her spine. She knew deep inside that Clark was in trouble.

The next thing she knew, she found herself in the hospital waiting room, her parents leaving her behind as they rushed to speak with the frantic Langs at the front desk. "Jess?" A familiar voice called out to her, and she turned her blank stare to her best friend and secret boyfriend, Kyle Knightley. He crouched down in front of her, his hands gently cradling her face. "Are you alright?"

"I..." She cleared her throat. "Clark... He..."

"Shhh," Kyle hushed her softly. "It's okay. Don't force yourself." He brushed her hair away from her face, his eyes filled with concern.

Jess locked her gaze with Kyle's, her green eyes searching for answers. "What did your dad say about Clark?" Her words came out abruptly, a mix of fear and desperation evident in her voice. Kyle's eyes avoided her gaze, and she knew that something was seriously wrong. "Kyle..." Her voice trembled. "Is Clark okay?"

"Jess..."

She stood up abruptly. "Is my brother okay, Kyle?"

Martha and Jonathan hurried over to Jess upon hearing her rising voice. "Kyle, where's Clark?" Martha asked, her voice laced with panic. Before Kyle could respond, Jess saw Dr. Knightley, Kyle's father, approaching them with bloodstained scrubs and a sorrowful expression. Her worst fears were confirmed — her brother was gone. Jess collapsed into Kyle's arms, letting out a piercing scream while shouting "no."

It was unbearable to comprehend the overwhelming grief. She would have to go back home and face the harsh reality that Clark would never return. He wouldn't be there to graduate, he wouldn't be there to intimidate Kyle when they finally gathered the courage to reveal their relationship to their parents. He was gone, and he wasn't coming back.

"I'm sorry, there was too much internal bleeding," Dr. Knightley explained to Martha and Jonathan, who were on the verge of losing their composure. "I did everything I could, but I couldn't control it." Martha buried herself in Jonathan's embrace, their emotions mingling in a tangled mess. "I know this is incredibly hard, but I need you to identify the body," Dr. Knightley said, his hand resting on Jonathan's shoulder. "Nurse Beckett will take you to the morgue when you're ready."