𝒕 𝒉 𝒓 𝒆 𝒆

A brand-new start

A brand-new start.

A brand-new home.

A brand-new setting.

Jess repeated these words to herself, like a mantra, as she gazed at the towering skyscrapers of Metropolis from the bridge they were crossing. The giants scraping the heavens with their peaks, a stark contrast to the small-town life she had left behind. It was a world of difference, and for a fleeting moment, excitement bubbled within her.

It had been a whole year since her brother's disappearance, a year marred by depression and resentment. But now, as she embarked on this fresh chapter of her life, she refused to shed any tears. Leaving behind Kyle, her childhood home—those were sacrifices she was willing to make for a chance at renewal.

As she stepped into the Victorian-era home, nestled among a row of twenty other houses, a smile tugged at Jess's lips. "Christmas is going to be fun," she whispered to herself. Jonathan, her father, appeared by her side, his sigh audible as he took in the surroundings. For a few moments, they stood in silence, the sadness in his eyes speaking volumes.

Without hesitation, Jess enveloped her father in a warm embrace, offering comfort in her arms. She understood the weight he carried, the sense of loss tied to leaving behind the Kent farm, a place that had thrived for over six generations. "Whatever you're thinking, Dad, you're not a failure," she reassured him, patting his shoulder gently.

The older man leaned on his daughter's strength, his hand resting atop hers. "I know," he murmured. "But sometimes, I can't help but feel that way."

Life in the bustling metropolis proved to be more enjoyable than Jess had anticipated. Attending Metropolis High, she forged new friendships, regained her academic prowess, and found solace in the familiarity of routine.

Yet, a tinge of guilt gnawed at her heart.

Two years had passed since her brother's tragic death and disappearance, and here she was, genuinely happy. Laughter spilled from her lips, jokes flowed effortlessly, and the melancholy that had once consumed her seemed like a distant memory. She had emerged from her cocoon, embracing life once again. And for that, she owed a debt of gratitude to one person—a spunky, loud-mouthed redhead who answered to the name of Lois Lane.

Their fated encounter took place in late fall, amidst the middle of Lois's busy semester, right around Halloween. It was a time when the fair-skinned beauty found herself wandering, marveling at the vibrant colors of the season. Being a military brat, she rarely had the opportunity to truly revel in the magnificence of nature.

Living on various military bases in different countries meant that Lois was always restricted, never allowed to venture beyond the confines of the base walls. Her father, ever vigilant and protective, harbored fears of her being targeted or harmed for her American heritage. So, escaping the solitude of her lonely home and experiencing the great outdoors of Metropolis brought her immense joy. The high school campus, adorned with beautiful trees donated by LuthorCorp and Wayne Enterprises as part of their environmental conservation campaign, provided a haven of natural beauty.