𝒔 𝒊 𝒙 𝒕 𝒆 𝒆 𝒏

As the sun began to climb up the skyscrapers of Gotham's gloomy skies, Jim and Jess turned off the light that signaled the city's vengeance missile into action

As the sun began to climb up the skyscrapers of Gotham's gloomy skies, Jim and Jess turned off the light that signaled the city's vengeance missile into action. Jim could notice something was off with his partner from how she was constantly in thought and quieter than usual. "What do you know about a confidential informant in the Maroni case?" Batman's voice rang out from the shadows of the unfinished building.

Jim spun around, making Jess snap out of her thoughts. "Uh, yeah, there was one."

"That's the rat we're looking for." Bruce kept his eyes trained on Jim, practically ignoring Jess's presence. "Somehow, Riddler knows."

"Rat?" Jess repeated in confusion. "Did you decode the cipher?"

Bruce took a beat. "Yes."

"Where are you getting with this?" Jim jumped in.

"Gil's very nervous," Bruce said. "Riddler's targeting people close to that case."

Jim swallowed thickly. "I worked that case."

Jess shook her head. "He's not after you."

"You're not corrupt." Bruce finished.

"Riddler isn't after him."

The thought finally crossed Jim's mind in a blaze of fury. "Colson's dirty?" It was silent between the three of them for a moment. Jim clenched his jaw, looking down at his shoes for a second. All the people he admired for their fantastic work during that case were sellouts, the mayor, the DA, his ex-partner; it was all a lie. "Maybe... Maybe I can talk to Colson, lean on him to give up the rat."

"It's too dangerous. They made a secret deal with this guy," Bruce explained. "Who knows how many people it touches."

"It could tear the city apart." Jess bit her lip, crossing her arms. "Jesus, this is a power keg...."

"Amen to that sister," Jim grumbled while checking his watch. "Listen, I gotta go. You get to where you're going, okay?" Jim said sternly, finger pointed in Jess's direction. The young detective could only nod her head in agreement while begging for him not to leave her alone in her head. Disappearing down the elevator, Jess and Bruce were left with one another in utter silence.

The sun's rays began to peek over some of the skyscrapers, hitting its warm light over his stubbled jaw. "Listen, I just want to...."

"I don't want to hear it," Bruce grumbled, turning towards the elevator.

Almost desperate, Jess grabbed his arm to stop him from leaving. The six-foot 3D shadow glared at the hand gripping his arm like she was assaulting him. "Please, just let me apologize; you deserve it."

"I don't want your apology." He growled, yanking his arm out of her grasp as if it burned him.

Jess bit her bottom lip to stop herself from having a meltdown. "I just... I want you to know I didn't mean what I said." She mumbled. "And I think...."