15. A promise

"Hilary Clinton is one of my role models. I do not break treaties, you ass!" -Blair Waldorf Gossip Girl

Song; Loyal - Chris Brown ft Lil Wayne, Tyga

***

"You know him?" Steven asks turning to look at me with his eyebrows raised in surprise.

Do I know him? Helix glances at me with a smirk and a raised brow as if awaiting another denial. I remember how I had to apologize by going to the club and the accident that almost occurred.

"I do,"

"Why don't you tell him how well?' Helix asks smirking.

"We're just friends," I state regretting ever accepting the label of being his "friend," We've never had a real conversation and he obviously seemed to not get along with Steven, why on earth did I have to agree to be his friend?

"Friends," Helix says and winks suggestively. I wanted to punch him! He was going to make Steven get the wrong idea! I turn to glance at Steven who had a look I didn't like as he glanced at me. "Normal friends," I say quickly which made me seem even more suspicious much to Helix' delight and my terror.

Helix smirks and nods, "Absolutely," he says as the elevator opens and he walks forward. He stops next to me and leans in.

"Too bad, I was hoping you'd deny me so we can continue where we left off," he whispers his lips slightly grazing my ear sending a cold shiver down my body as my mouth slightly drops open.

After a couple of seconds, I get over the shock and whip my head around as he steps into the elevator.

"Are you coming?" Helix asks looking straight at me with a grin on his face that I so badly wanted to wipe off. He knew what he was doing!

"I'm good," I state grudgingly, to which Helix chuckles as the elevator door closes. Not bothering to ask if Steven wanted to get in. I quickly turn and glance at Steven remembering he was there.

"What's he doing here?" I ask hoping he ignores what he just saw or miraculously forgets it.

"I ask myself the same question every time we meet," Steven says to which I find my eyes going back to the shut elevator. He was wearing scrubs, the same color as ours. Meaning he worked here as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), but why? His field of study was totally unrelated to this.

"Do you know he's a double Architecture and Engineering major?" I ask Steven.

"Unfortunately," Steven replies sounding begrudged and underwhelmed.

"Then what's he doing here?" I ask more to myself.

"To laze around,"

"Huh?"

"His family is the biggest donator for the hospital, 70 percent of the donations we receive are from his mom. He volunteers here every other week as a CNA.

"Oh wow," I say genuinely shocked and impressed that he'd do that. But then again, he'd always helped me when I was in need of course he'd be the type to volunteer.

"That's quite selfless of him," I say.

"Selfless?" Steven says and scoffs.

"If spending his entire shift flirting with every and any female that breathes in the hospital is selfless, then yes he's the most selfless dude there is," Steven says wrecking my image. A feeling of slight sadness washes over me, what did I expect? Once a player, always a player.

Letting out a heavy breath I press the elevator button. Silence ensures for a couple of minutes as we await the return of the elevator.

"Hestia are you two really friends?" Steven asks looking worried.

"I mean..."I say hesitating, Steven obviously didn't like him. "What's your definition of a friend?"

"It depends on the type of friend, we're friends," Steven replies.

"We are, " I say smiling, genuinely happy he still considered me as one. I was very picky with friends and found it hard to admit people where my friends as I was scared of being betrayed or let down. Steven never did, and I truly still considered him a friend though we had lost contact. Hence, to hear him still call me his friend, right after we met truly warmed my heart. I was even more hesitant to associate to Helix whom I didn't know too well.

"I know you and you know me. Helix and I have met a number of times, but we are not close, we don't know each other well," I honestly state.

"I hope it stays that way," Steven says solemnly.

"You really don't like him, don't you?" I say finding it a slightly musing.

"If you knew him well, you'd feel the same,"

"And you do?"

"Unfortunately," Steven says making me genuinely curious. Was this simple jealousy, anger at Helix not doing his job or something more? I couldn't tell. I wanted to ask but decide against it. It didn't matter what the reason was. I knew Steven longer than Helix, my loyalty was to him and him alone!

"Hestia, I know we just met again after a long while, and it's not y place to tell you what to do. However, just this once can you try your best to stay away from him? For me" Steven asks with sincere eyes that shone brightly with a look of genuine worry.

 I didn't want him to be, I nod. "I promise," I say.

***

lol Hestia, you're a mess