22. Reason

"Nate can't wait to see you. Trust me, it's like riding a very cute bike."-Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl

Song: Auditory hallucination by Jang Jae In

***

"Mimi!" They all exclaim as my eyes widen in momentary shock. Before being quickly held back by Leo and Pete.

"You better pray he wakes up or I promise I will ruin you," Mimi says her finger raised and her voice filled with raw venom.

"Mimi enough," Lisa says.

"Enough? Do you hear yourself. Lisa, Helix almost lost his life because of her once, and now he is unconscious behind those doors and that's all you have to say? Enough?" She says and scoffs.

"Starting a fight here isn't exactly helping. I never should have told you in the first place," Naz says a doctor next to him and a bunch of nurses behind.

"If you had then today wouldn't have happened," Mimi says seemingly equally angry at him.

"Hestia, can you show us to his room?" Naz asks as a nurse opens the door to his room and looks out. "You guys need to keep it down or leave," she says.

"I'm sorry, we're here to see Helix Maddox or Helix Jean I'm not sure what he is put down as," Naz says to which the nurses' eyes light up.

"Oh, were you the one who spoke with Doctor Luke?" She asks to which he nods.

"I brought his team for the transfer," Naz says.

"You can come in," she says to which Naz and the medical team with him all troop into the room leaving us outside.

"Are you okay?" Lisa asks.

I nod and turn to Mimi, "I don't know what makes you think I caused Helix being unconscious, but I'd like you to know I didn't and deserve and apology," I say determined, the pain still stinging.

"An apology? Are you insane?"

"No, actually only one person seems to be insane around here," I say to which she moves towards me and is quickly held back by Pete.

"Enough Mimi," Pete says.

"Did you hear this bitch? She called me insane,"

"Well, you're acting insane," Leo quips.

"Rightly so! Why aren't you? He's your friend, isn't he?" She bellows.

"Yes, but anyone with a brain can tell it's not her fault," Leo replies sounding irritated, that'd make two of us.

"It's not her fault? Didn't you hear Naz, he drove Leo. Helix drove, for her! Or is that a lie?" Mimi says looking at me.

"What does Helix driving me have to do with this?" I ask genuinely confused. I'd just been slapped and so far, we'd gone in circles of riddles with no answer or apology on the attack meted on me.

"Helix has a driving phobia," Kate explains.

"What?" I say in disbelief.

"To be specific claustrophobia, but it's worse when he drives cars or is in one. Hence why he rides a bike," Lisa adds.

"But he drove me a few days back without issues," I say not finding the words reasonable.

"And that's the problem!" Mimi exclaims to which a nurse steps out of the room and glares at us.

"We're sorry, we'll be quiet," Pete says.

"Mimi, get yourself together or leave, you're causing a commotion. Do you want them to make a mistake because of you?" He asks to which I see her flinch, her shoulders quickly relax as she glares at me once more before turning and walking away to a corner while glaring at me.

"He really gave you a ride in a car?" Lisa asks to which I nod. "Wow, it's kinda hard to belief though I know it's true. Did nothing really happen to him while he drove you?" Lisa asks.

"No...nothing," I say trying to recall that day. Nothing happened, or maybe something did, but I don't remember. I was too stuck on worrying about Blair to have paid attention.

"He normally loses consciousness if he's in a vehicle, but it's never been as long as when he gave you a ride. It shouldn't go beyond ten minutes, but he was instead unconscious for two days straight," Lisa replies.

"What?" I say in shock. Lisa sighs and nods placing a hand on my shoulder. "We also just learnt about it from Naz. If he didn't lose consciousness today, we'd have never known he lost consciousness for that long recently," she says.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't know,"

"It's cool you just met and couldn't have known he has vasovagal syncope," Lisa says.

"What's that?" I ask confused.

" A sudden drop in heart rate and blood pressure that leads to loss of consciousness due to a stressful trigger," Leo explains. "In other words, when your body overreacts to a stressful trigger. In this case when he drove you, he had to fight that overreaction to ensure you arrived safely, leading to a war of sorts in his brain between various nerves and hormones and his heart. Unfortunately, it took a toll on his system leading to a shut down. It's like when you overload a computer, and it shuts down," Leo explains.

"The two days loss of consciousness gave his doctor a scare, and he insisted Helix had to stay indoors on close supervision for two weeks. However, he kept sneaking out," Lisa adds.

"Why?" I ask confused. They all stay quiet seemingly avoiding my eyes.

"You asked why you deserved the slap?" Mimi says getting up and walking over.

"I'll tell you because the person he kept sneaking out to see was you! You led to this!" Mimi exclaims.

"Mimi, shut up or get out," Leo says.

"I can't believe you. You don't even know her, and you take her side,"

"You're making it seem like she purposely put him at risk, but like you said; we don't know her, and she doesn't know us. Of course, she didn't know. Plus no one forced Helix to give her a ride. He made that decision fully knowing the risks, just as he chose whatever fling he was pursuing with her over his health," Leo says sounding irritated.

Mimi glares at him and proceeds to stump away.

"I'll go make sure she's okay," Kate says and grabs their bags before heading out.

"It's not your fault Hestia. I don't want you thinking that. Like Leo said, that was a conscious decision Helix made. He lives with that consequence not you," Lisa says.

I shake my head; it was never that way. Yes, he'd live with the consequence, but I'd live with the guilt. The guilt of knowing it was because of me. It was equally as heavy. If I didn't ask him to take me to Blair.

If only I had fought the urge to pursue whatever we had if I hadn't kissed him. Then maybe, maybe none of this would have happened. Yet here we were, once again.

"I had no idea..." My entire body trembles, what if he doesn't wake up?

***

Thank you for all the wishes :)

-A