Drunken Stories

Chapter Fourteen

11:48

Rosie panted as she jogged along the gravel path leading towards the edge of the Black Lake, giving all her attention to not vomiting all over the well-kept grass. She just hoped that by the time she sat down, her massive headache will have dissipated somewhat.

After James had reminded her of her previous commitment, she quickly brushed her teeth and washed her face with Marlene's special soap before throwing on the skirt, some grey knee-high socks, a brown woolly jumper and some brogues that she was wearing to watch the match the day before.

As she hastily followed the path in the cold November air, she ran a brush through her hair and placed it in her leather bag when she spotted Archie sitting against a tree reading a book. She was already regretting not taking the time to find a winter jacket when she spotted how cosy he looked in his.

"Archie!" she breathed finally, slowing down and resting her hands on her knees. "I'm so sorry I'm late."

"Are you alright, Artois?" he smirked, closing the book and standing up.

"Fine. Brilliant, if anything," she said, watching her breath fog above her. Her voice was overly enthusiastic to make up for the sickening feeling flowing through her veins. "I just need to sit down."

Archie shook his head and motioned towards the tree trunk and dropped himself back down where he was sitting before. He reached out the back of his hand and felt her unscarred cheek. "You're bloody freezing. Why didn't you put a coat on?"

"I was still asleep ten minutes ago!" she told him defensively but laughed anyway. "And besides, it would ruin my look."

"What, the look of a woman who's just missed her train and fallen into a pile of dog dung?" he laughed at her, and she smiled at his joke as she finally started breathing at a normal pace again.

"Well, I suppose we could chat here for a little bit," he suggested, and she nodded gratefully. "So... how was the party? Judging by the fact you only woke up ten minutes ago, and you're holding your head like that, it was quite fun?"

"You know what? I don't really remember," Rosie chuckled as she dropped her hand to her side, deciding to ignore the throbbing in her head as she rested it on his shoulder.

"The best ones always end up like that," he grinned, looking down at her.

Rosie chuckled again before saying, "I assume you wanted to talk about something specific when you asked me to come with you yesterday?"

"Yes," he scratched the back of his neck nervously. "I thought it would be much nicer in the twilight to talk, but-"

"Come on. You should know I'm more of a morning person by now, Archie. It's a lovely day today, despite the cold," Rosie smiled sweetly, looking at him before taking the chance to admire the view of the frost-tipped grass next to the still lake.

"Right. Yeah," he said distractedly. "I wanted to ask if you would go to Hogsmeade with me for Christmas. It was really good last time we went- and not just because of... you know."

"Oh," Rosie bit her lip, unsure of what to say. It was clearly not the reaction he'd expected, as she felt his shoulder stiffen beneath her, so she lifted her head slowly, trying to explain herself. "Don't you usually go with your friends at Christmas?"

"Yeah, well, he's sort of accepted the fact that we're... erm... friends," he explained himself, also trying not to send her over the edge. "So I thought it could be just the two of us again."

"Right. Well, it's just that I usually go with my friends at Christmas..." Rosie trailed off awkwardly, looking towards the castle. She was far too tired to look after his feelings at the moment.