Results and Situations

Chapter Forty-Three

Tuesday 10th August 1976 ~ 10:48 ~ new moon

That morning, Rosie woke up much later than she had done during the rest of the summer holidays, feeling completely relaxed and very well-rested. She decided to have a nice long bath before getting changed into some cool clothes due to the heat and heading down to the kitchen.

"Morning," she yawned, walking in and spotting Mr and Mrs Potter at the breakfast table while James and Sirius were making cups of tea.

"Afternoon, more like," Mr Potter teased, looking at his watch as he placed the newspaper onto the wooden table.

"Leave her alone, Fleamont!" Mrs Potter snapped, smacking her husband's arm lightly before turning to Rosie. "Are you feeling any better, dear?"

"Much better, thanks," she smiled, pulling out one of the chairs and sitting down.

"M'lady," James said, coming up beside her and placing down one of the mugs of tea.

"It's almost eleven o'clock," Mr Potter said, looking around at the high window. "So the Hogwarts owls should be here soon."

"Oh, don't remind me," Rosie groaned, feeling her stomach lurch slightly at the thought. "I know I'm gonna have failed everything."

"Don't be stupid," Sirius told her calmly, sitting down at the table as well now that the tea had been served. "We'll be fine."

"That's easy for you to say," Rosie said. "You don't even need to revise to get good marks."

"I suppose it's just my natural geniusness," he grinned smugly, sipping on his tea casually.

There was a small, high-pitched shriek from across the room, and everyone looked around to see James staring out of the window, looking at three birds soaring towards the window.

"What's wrong with you?" Mr Potter asked, trying to hold in a laugh at the sound his son had made. "You've never cared about marks before."

"They're looking for a new Quidditch Captain," James said, as if it were obvious, as he opened the window to let the owl in.

Rosie jumped up and went forwards, looking for the owl with her letter attached to it. It ended up being the barn owl on the right of the small cluster. She breathed heavily as she untied it and watched the bird fly off before ripping open the envelope and looking at the contents.

The first letter was as normal; the time and date for the Hogwarts Express along with the list of items they would need for the coming year, but the second looked very official...

Ordinary Wizarding Levels Results
Pass Grades:
Outstanding (O)
Exceeds Expectations (E)
Acceptable (A)
Fail Grades:
Poor (P)
Dreadful (D)
Troll (T)

Roisin Amelie Artois has achieved:
Ancient Runes: E
Arithmancy: E
Astronomy: A
Charms: O
Defence Against the Dark Arts: E
Herbology: O
History of Magic: A
Potions: O
Transfiguration: O

Rosie read over the parchment a few times to ensure she had read everything correctly. She steadied her breathing, nodding in satisfaction as she placed the letter down on the sideboard and looked around at the other two.

Sirius was still reading through his own but looked perfectly happy, so Rosie moved her gaze to James, who had already thrown his results letter aside and was staring at something else with wide eyes. "What?" she spoke up, walking over to him and looking at what James was holding in his palms.