What Happens in Hogsmeade Stays in Hogsmeade

Chapter Eight

Friday 31st October 1975 ~ 07:02 ~ waning moon

Rosie woke up to the sight of sunlight streaming through the little window by her bed and the sound of rain pounding over the old roof. It was going to be a peaceful day today.

Yawning, she sat up and saw that everyone else was still asleep. So, checking the time and seeing it was only seven o'clock, Rosie wandered over to the bathroom for a nice long shower. Thankfully, they had been given the day off since Hallowe'en fell on a Friday. That weekend was supposed to be a Hogsmeade weekend anyway. The theory was that the professors wanted to go out for a roast lunch to celebrate instead of staying at the school.

She took the time to scrub her skin clean, shave her legs, wash her hair thoroughly, and even put a couple of potions on her face to make it nice and clear before her makeup. The first trip to Hogsmeade of the year was always exciting, and it was now even more so because of her date with Archie.

She had been running the water for so long that the mirrors had steamed. The room was boiling hot, so Rosie pushed open the window despite the dark sky and rain to let the air out before the next person used it. Thankfully she'd decided to leave the outfit she picked out the night before in the shared wardrobe; otherwise, it would be all damp. When she walked back out into the bedroom in her pink towel, she saw that the others were also beginning to wake up.

Alice was waiting eagerly by the door to shower and prepare for her date with Frank. So when Rosie opened the door and stepped out, Alice pushed her aside and slammed the bathroom door shut behind herself.

"Oh, it's all steamed up- whatever," Rosie chuckled to herself as she walked over to the dresser and sat down, picking up her brush and untangling her hair before drying it with a spell and choosing how to style it.

"Morning," Lily yawned happily, sitting up from her drool-stained pillow with her eyes still half shut and her hair a frizzy mess.

"Morning, Lily. I must say you may as well go out to Hogsmeade like that. You look like an angel!" Rosie told her sarcastically. It took Lily a long moment to understand her meaning, so when she did, she frowned and threw a pillow at the tall girl, which she avoided while laughing heartily.

Mary was taking her time picking out some clothes from the wardrobe so Rosie couldn't get past her, and so did her hair and makeup in her towel before changing. She feathered her chocolate-coloured hair and lightly painted her face with some makeup, placing glitter in the corner of her eyes to make them look larger. She hoped her facial potions would stop her from getting any spots from them.

Mary was waiting impatiently outside the bathroom while Lily had gotten up too after a few minutes of stretching in her bed. She'd managed to get dressed, waiting by the dresser for Rosie to finish carefully applying her makeup while trying to stop the sick feeling in her stomach from rising up to her throat.

Eventually, Rosie stood up and walked over to the wardrobe that was now clear of people to find the lovely clothes she'd chosen. At the same time, Lily brushed her hair and put it into two neat plaits so it wouldn't get frizzy in the rain. Mary kept huffing and puffing loudly, hoping Alice would hear her and be quicker. She'd been in there for quite some time now.

Rosie finally found all the components to her carefully chosen outfit: a white shirt over which she placed a dark greenish brown knitted jumper Remus had lent her, then a black skirt and thin tights with black socks completed by her school brogues.

Alice finally emerged from the bathroom as Rosie clasped a necklace around her neck, having already dried and styled her short hair rushing over to the dresser. In frustration, Mary sighed one last time at the girl's lack of apology before running into the bathroom and slamming the door.