Growth Spurt

Chapter Forty-Four

Wednesday 1st September 1976 ~ 09:44 ~ waxing half moon

September First had finally arrived once again, and the residents of Potter Manor were running about like madmen. Under Euphemia's request, the three students had packed their bags the night before to make sure they were prepared for the morning. However, not one of them had woken any earlier than nine o'clock.

"Sirius Black! If you don't get out now, we're leaving without you!" Rosie rapped on his bedroom door very loudly until her knuckles went sore. "Sirius!"

"I'm coming!" he shouted before the door was flung open, and Rosie could finally shake out her hands. "Don't get your knickers in a twist."

"What could you possibly have been doing for so long?" Rosie asked as she began walking towards the stairs with Sirius in tow.

"I was perfecting my look," he said proudly, pushing his hair behind his ears before he stopped suddenly. "Hold on."

"Oh, for Merlin's sake," Rosie rolled her eyes and turned to face him. "What've you forgotten now?"

"Nothing!" he said happily as a grin spread across his face. "I'm taller than you!"

"What?" Rosie scoffed, looking him up and down before saying defiantly, "No way. We're the same height as we have been for three months."

"Nope. Admit it, I'm actually taller than you," he grinned, strolling forwards again and hopping down the stairs.

"No, you're not!" Rosie shouted after him, jogging to catch up.

She hopped down the stairs two at a time and jumped in front of him as he stepped off the bottom step and headed towards James, who was waiting impatiently by the door with his mother, holding his trunk in one hand and checking his watch with the other.

"It's almost ten o'clock!" he said, shoving the watch into Sirius's face. "What were you-"

Sirius interrupted him as he whooped and threw his fist into the air in victory. James looked over at Rosie with a raised eyebrow, but she shook her head and scowled.

"Yes!" Sirius cheered. "I'm as tall as you, Prongs! Ha!" he turned to Rosie and laughed while she frowned.

"James, there's no way he's taller than me!" she said incredulously. "Right?"

"Well..." James trailed off as he looked between Sirius's smug face and Rosie's irritated one. "I'm afraid to say Sirius is right on this one, isn't he Mum?"

"Yes, dear," she nodded, craning her neck to look for her husband, who should have been coming to the door any minute now. "I do hope your new robes still fit you."

"I don't care if they're five inches too short," Sirius grinned, looking at Rosie with the most smug expression she had ever seen on him.

"At last," Mrs Potter said exasperatedly as Fleamont strolled along the corridor, fixing his tie. "Where have you been?"

"Well, I needed to-"

"Oh, you can tell me about it later," she interrupted, wafting a hand to get him to be quiet. "Is everybody sure they have everything?"

"Yes," they all answered with nods of their heads.

She raised an eyebrow, and they repeated themselves, adamant that they wouldn't be needing to turn back to the house to collect anything once they had set off.

"Alright then," she nodded, opening the front door and ushering everybody out. "Goodbye, Tummy! We'll be back in a few hours!" she shouted into the house before closing the door after Fleamont stepped out.