Jealous, Jealous, Jealous Girl?

Chapter Fifty-Four

Tuesday 21st December 1976 ~ 09:27 ~ new moon

"I just don't get it," Lily murmured, hiding as best she could behind the two large textbooks piled on her desk as she spoke to Alice, pretending to wave around her wand. Both girls moved their gazes over to the other side of the room where the Marauders were sitting, practically glaring at the girl who had taken Peter's seat a week ago.

A Ravenclaw Quidditch player, Cordelia Smith, appeared to have caught the undivided attention of James Potter with absolutely no warning. Almost the entire school spent days pondering what on earth must have happened between him and Rosie to make him move on from her so firmly after so many months of him clearly trying to get her to go out with him. By now, most of the other students had just assumed that he was finally bored of her rejections and wanted an easier target for his affections. After all, prior to his infatuation with her, he wasn't at all known to neglect the attention of an attractive girl.

 "Oh, I wonder what Rosie's thinking," Alice replied in a whisper, also swishing her wand around spectacularly to ward off any eavesdroppers. "She's not said a thing since he began talking to Smith at the last Quidditch practice..."

Lily thought to herself for a moment, letting her wand drop slightly as she stared over at James. The boy was smirking as he guided the blonde girl's hand in a circular motion while she batted her eyelashes nervously. "Damn, there won't be any more practices until after the holidays, will there?"

"Not if the train sets off at twelve o'clock," Alice nodded, checking her wristwatch for a moment. "What convenient timing for Potter to take on a sudden new 'hobby'," she sighed, staring suspiciously over at the couple as well.

"But Rosie's living with him," Lily added, now completely giving up on the pretence of casting spells for Charms practice. "There's no way he's gonna prefer that Smith girl when the person he's been obsessing over for so long is so easy to communicate with."

"I really don't know," Alice thought out loud. "I don't know anything about her apart from the fact that Frank says she no competition on the pitch."

"Perhaps..." Lily said darkly, making Alice look at her questioningly when she didn't say anything else for a moment. "Perhaps if I start talking to Charles, I could find out more about the girl? Maybe he's heard what James is thinking by getting to know her so randomly."

"You know, that might not be such a bad idea," Alice agreed, to Lily's disappointment. "A Ravenclaw Quidditch player who's friendly with Potter, and he's Rosie's brother? He's the perfect spy for this situation. Plus, he'll be more than happy to get information for you."

Lily let out a small sound of surprise, "Oh, yeah. Well then, I suppose that's settled. I'll bet you could get Peter to let something slip if you get him alone on the train, too."

"Brilliant," Alice nodded, reaching out her hand for Lily to shake. "We don't let it go until we find out exactly what's happened in the last few days, right?"

"Right," Lily nodded firmly, taking the hand in hers as her determination to discover the truth only grew.

*

11:23

"Oh, come on," Marlene groaned as she stepped down into the common room. The first thing anyone could see upon entry was James curled up on one of the fireplace seats with his head placed in the Smith girl's lap. "Hey, Mary, send Rosie back upstairs, will you?"

She looked up behind her and found Mary nodding, obviously guessing what was going on. So, she made up some excuse about leaving things in the bathroom to save the other girls some time. Lily and Alice nodded to one another in remembrance of their agreement while Marlene - unaware of their plans - stomped over to the boys. Even the other three Marauders seemed uncomfortable as they gave the minimum responses to the new girl's many questions.