A Potter Christmas Party

Chapter Eighteen

21:58

After thirty seconds of catching glimpses of Wizarding fireplaces as she sped past them, Rosie tumbled out of the fireplace of what she hoped to be James Potter's house. The room seemed to be upstairs since it was empty, and Rosie could feel the low buzz of music and chatter beneath her feet. She stood up and brushed herself off, pulling out her wand from the concealed pocket in her dress and casting a quick spell to fix her makeup and make the dust disappear.

Then, green flames erupted from the little fireplace once again, and a slightly dishevelled Sirius tumbled out – so, at the very least, he had arrived at the same place. He jumped up and grinned when he saw her waiting there, leaning casually against a chest of drawers.

"You managed to get to the right place, then," he said, dusting himself off and trying to find a reflective surface to ensure his eyeliner hadn't smudged.

"Come here," Rosie pulled him forwards by the shoulder, pulling out her wand and casting the same spells she had used on herself.

"Thank you," Sirius grinned, reaching an arm out in a gentlemanly manner. "Would you do me the honour, my lady?"

"I absolutely will, good sir," Rosie smiled back, curtseying and taking his arm in hers.

The two opened the door and walked along the beautiful landing towards the staircase, where they could see brightly coloured lights and hear loud Christmas music. Now this was a Christmas party.

"I feel just like Cinderella," Rosie said quietly, thinking of her friends at Hogwarts. She hadn't meant for Sirius to hear.

"What's that?" Sirius asked.

"I don't really know," she admitted, holding her head up high. "Just something Mary says whenever we go down to a party."

He chuckled at her admirably as they reached the top of the beautiful old staircase, which was decorated with baubles, holly and big ribbons. Sirius coughed loudly, grabbing the attention of the people in the room below. It clearly wasn't the entire group of people, and it looked like many of them were just walking between other rooms, but they all stopped to look nevertheless.

"Excuse me!" he shouted, clapping his hands together and making Rosie blush as he held her arm tightly. "I would just like to announce... The Party. Has. Started!" he yelled, making everyone in that room cheer wildly and begin to sing even louder as he dragged Rosie down the stairs, looking around for someone he knew.

"Sirius, my boy!" came a deep shout from their left. Rosie thought it must have been James's father since he looked exactly like the boy apart from the greying hair and lack of glasses – just like the man she had looked at for a few moments in first year.

Sirius withdrew his arm from Rosie's and ran over to give Mr Potter a huge hug while they both laughed and patted each other on the back heartily.

"How are you, son? It's been too long, too long," the short man laughed warmly, wrapping a Christmas-jumper-clad arm around Sirius and taking a few steps back towards the staircase.

"I'm perfect now that I'm here," Sirius grinned back, his voice sounding a little deeper than it usually did. Rosie knew Sirius was finally back with his proper family. She smiled softly as she looked around, noticing that she and Sirius were far too overdressed for the type of party this was.

"Ah, who's this lovely young woman you've brought, Sirius? Treating her like a lady, I hope?" Mr Potter asked, wiggling his eyebrows at the young boy as Rosie turned around to face him at the mention of her.