Chapter 2

The next day, Maddy found herself at the airport at noon, waiting for her mother to arrive

The next day, Maddy found herself at the airport at noon, waiting for her mother to arrive. It felt weird to be the one waiting for someone to arrive instead of actually being on the plane.

After half an hour of waiting, Maddy saw her mother walking out of the airport but what surprised her was the man walking behind her. Maddy's mother looked around for a minute before spotting Maddy, Leia and Justin. Smiling, she walked over to them with Tristan, the Alpha of the Callisto Pack and Leia's father, following behind her. Maddy rushed forward to meet her mother.

"One month and you manage to get yourself in the middle of some adventure," her mother said with an amused voice.

"To be fair, I didn't go looking for adventure, adventure came looking for me."

"Yeah right," she said and pulled her in for a hug. When they pulled away, Maddy turned to Tristan. "What are you doing here?"

Tristan glanced at Justin. "After what happened with Diana, the Werewolf Council has called for a meeting. Now that Bruce has threatened all the werewolves, they decided to do something about it."

"The Werewolf Council is comprised of selfish bastards. They won't do anything unless there is something in for them," Leia informed Maddy.

Tristan frowned. "You shouldn't badmouth the Council."

Leia shrugged. "I'm only voicing out what everyone thinks."

Justin shook hands with Maddy's mom. "Katherine, nice to meet you."

"Likewise."

They didn't waste any more time in pleasantries. All of them piled into the car and Justin started driving towards the Amalthea Pack headquarters.

Once they reached there, Maddy's mom went into business mode. Tying her hair up with a hair tie, she took her doctor's kit or whatever it was called and hurried over to the pack hospital with the others following behind her.

As they made their way to the pack hospital, Maddy could see werewolves warily staring at her mother. Maddy expected something like that. The only reason that Maddy was welcomed openly into the pack headquarters was because she helped the Alpha's daughter. Even after that, some people *cough* Katie *cough* weren't happy with a human staying in pack headquarters. Her mom would have to prove her place in here for the werewolves to accept her but Maddy wasn't worried. Her mom was more than capable of taking care of herself. In fact, Maddy was half afraid of the werewolves who snapped at her mom.

On reaching the hospital room where Diana was being kept, some of the doctors were ready for her arrival and immediately started talking about doctor-y stuff. Maddy zoned out at that point. Biology had never been her favorite subject. 

Alexa, Xander and Jeremy were outside in the hallway. Nowadays, they spent most of their time outside Diana's room. While her mother went over various files, Maddy sat outside the room beside Alexa.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" Maddy asked.

Alexa smiled weakly. "I'm good."

Alexa didn't look 'good' and it was completely understandable that she was worried about her mother. Maddy would be extremely worried too if something like that happened to her mother. While Xander and Jeremy were more open about how they felt, Alexa bottled up everything inside her which worried Maddy because it was exactly what she did too. When those emotions got overwhelming, Maddy had to punch a pillow to its death to let those emotions out but Alexa, being a werewolf might have a more... aggressive approach. Maddy didn't want her to go on a rogue killing spree or something like that to avenge what they did to her mother.

For the next half an hour, everyone waited outside while the doctors worked on Diana. Justin insisted on staying inside but Maddy's mother wouldn't hear of it. She said that she would be doing a lot of tests on Diana and there were high chances that Justin could randomly lost control lose control of his wolf on seeing his mate being probed with needles. When Justin insisted, she practically slammed the door on his face which was why the Alpha was pacing back and forth in the hallway.

For an hour, everyone waited outside. Maddy had practically fallen asleep when her mom finally opened the door. By the grim look on her face, everyone knew that there wasn't any breakthrough.

"Diana seems to be perfectly normal. Except for the fact that she seems to be unconscious, there are no other symptoms of a coma. Brain activity is normal and her reflexes seem to be normal. I've never seen something like this, probably because it has faerie magic involved."

"Is there anything that you can do?" Tristan asked with furrowed eyebrows.

Maddy's mom pursed her lips. "Normally, a defibrillator isn't used to wake up people from a coma but in this case it might help. Have you tried that?"

Everyone seemed to be clueless as to what a defibrillator was.

"The machine that supplies electric shock to restart the heart?"

There was a collective chorus of 'Ohhhs.'

"We weren't sure about whether we should use that defilator or whatever it is called so we haven't tried that. We can buy that machine and get it by tomorrow. Will that be fine?"

Maddy's mom waved her hand dismissively. "Leave that to me. I'll get the machine by this evening and take care of it."

While Maddy's mom did a few more tests, Maddy sent a quick text to Noah. A week ago, he had come over to help the werewolves. Humans were the only one who could see through a faerie spell which was why he was supposed to watch over the borders. However, at night, Tatiana, the queen of faeries attacked an unsuspecting Noah who was sleeping and tied him up. Tatiana had then put an illusion over herself and this led to failure of the werewolves' plan to capture the boss.

When Maddy found out she immediately informed the others and they collectively took the decision to keep the information to themselves for some time. Justin had enough on his plate. Once Diana's situation was taken care of, they would tell the others about Tatiana. Noah went back the day after the incident but Maddy kept in touch with him through texts.

Once all the tests on Diana were done, everyone went to the cafeteria for lunch while Diana and Tristan left the headquarters to get the defibrillator.