Chapter 17

The rest of the night went by way too fast and Maddy loved every single moment of it

The rest of the night went by way too fast and Maddy loved every single moment of it. The pack ran together and this time Maddy led them. She hadn't shifted into a wolf but even in the human form, she was able to run almost as fast as a werewolf, which was saying something. Maddy had never felt something quite like it. Running that fast, Maddy felt like she felt like she had left all her worries behind and was free. Of course, she had stumbled a million times because she was clumsy as it is and this new werewolf speed was something she wasn't really used to but the pack patiently waited for her to get up and continue.

When Maddy woke up the next day, the first thing that she noticed was that she was feeling extremely tired. It was then that she registered that she was no longer able to smell each and everything clearly like she had been able to the night before. Panicking, she got ready and tried to run outside as fast as she had been able to the night before, but failed miserably.

Maddy tried multiple times, refusing to believe that she lost all her werewolf abilities. She had joined the pack yesterday and her werewolf side had merged with her human side. Then, what had gone wrong? Why did she no longer have those abilities?

'Where are you?' Leia spoke in Maddy's mind making her jump.

Maddy returned to her room with more questions in her head. She couldn't run as fast as a werewolf or sense things as clearly but she was able to talk to other pack members through the packlink. How was that even possible? It was like her human side chose to retain certain abilities and chose to ditch the other.

Maddy wanted to ask Leia about her situation but she found Leia talking to Jeremy. Deciding to give them some alone time, Maddy left, thinking that she would ask Leia later but Leia had already seen Maddy and called her over. Maddy told them about her situation.

She couldn't believe that her powers had disappeared all of a sudden. It wasn't fair. After all the help she rendered to the werewolves, the least fate could do was give her some of their powers. Snatching it away after a few hours was just cruel.

"Calm down," Leia said seeing Maddy's miserable expression.

"Your werewolf-y powers weren't stolen after a few hours of you using it," Maddy said grumpily.

"That's normal," Jeremy said reassuring her. "Werewolf speed isn't something that is natural exactly. Well, we get it from birth so I guess you could call it natural, but you don't get it naturally. I mean..."

Jeremy trailed off for a second, trying to find the correct word to use and then said, "You get the idea."

Maddy stared at him blankly. "I don't."

Jeremy opened his mouth to explain it but decided that Leia would be able to do it better so he glanced at her.

"It is like weight-lifting. Without practice you won't be able to do it but with practice it will become easier. We have been practicing it for our life so it has become like second nature."