Chapter 23

"Don't you guys think that this is a little too convenient?" Alexa asked as she skeptically stared at the ticket

"This is the slipup we have been waiting for," Maddy said excitedly. "We can figure out some way to ambush him on his way to the airport."

"And then we can wake mom up," Xander added.

"I don't know. This still feels sketchy. I mean, who gets physical tickets anymore when you can just get them online?" Alexa asked.

"He probably bought physical copies so that we don't get notified about his trip even if we do manage to hack into his computer or something," Maddy assured her.

"I don't know..." Alexa said, unconvinced but even she had to agree that it was their best lead.

Satisfied with the results of their little trip, they returned to the Amalthea Pack headquarters. The drive back took them an hour longer because they took a little detour to eat some fast food. They left early in the morning without eating breakfast and it was nearly noon now, so naturally, they were extremely hungry.

Once they reached the pack headquarters, they immediately went to Justin's office. Ambushing Bruce would require the entire pack's help and for that Justin needed to know what was going on. None of them wanted to be the one to break the news to Justin but it was necessary so they all put on their most innocent look and shuffled into the office.

Justin was reading some document but on seeing them enter, he removed his reading glasses. "You all are back already?" he asked with a confused expression on his face. "Did something happen?"

It was then that Maddy recalled that they had told Justin that they were going out on a road trip. Not that it mattered, they were going to tell Justin everything anyway.

"About that... Xander is going to fill you in," Alexa said as she glanced back at Xander.

Xander shot daggers at Alexa as Justin turned to Xander with a perplexed expression. Xander started explaining from the beginning when they found the faerie book to his dad.

Once they were done, Justin stood up slowly with a sigh. "You did all of this without letting anyone know?" he asked.

They all nodded, unsure of how Justin was going to react.

"Do you realize how much danger you put yourself into?" Justin asked with anger laced into his voice. He wasn't shouting, he hadn't even raised his voice but somehow it was scarier. Maddy kind of wished that he had just shouted at them. The disappointment in his eyes was so much worse.

"I have told you time and time again not to go after Bruce alone," Justin continued. "I get it. He is harming people and he needs to be stopped but don't put yourself in the field without knowing the full picture. You didn't know whether he would have his rogues with him or what kinds of spells he has in his possession and yet you put yourself right in front of him."

Alexa opened her mouth to reply but Justin wasn't done yet. "You have seen what he has already done to Diana. What if he had done the same thing to all of you? I wouldn't even know where to search for all of you. Do you even understand how irresponsible you have been?"

"But dad, I am going to be the future Alpha so this was like practice for when I-" Xander started, trying to give an excuse but Justin cut him off.

"But you're not the Alpha yet. So, stop trying to act like one," he said as he glared at Xander.

Xander shut his mouth and meekly stared at the floor. No one said another word after that.

Justin sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Keep the book and wallet on the table."

Leia who was holding the book and wallet, silently put them on the table.

"I'll be taking charge from here," he said.

All five of them nodded and quietly left the room. They were just near the door when Justin called out, "And you'll be on dish duty for the next week."

Everyone groaned and hurried outside before Justin could shout out other punishments.

"Dish duty!" Alexa complained as she kicked at the ground.

"It can't be that bad," Maddy said optimistically.

Leia raised his eyebrow. "There are over hundred werewolves whose dishes we have to clean and there are only five us. You think it won't be that bad ?" 

 You think it won't be that bad ?"