Chapter 24

Turned out that washing over twenty dishes was that bad

Turned out that washing over twenty dishes was that bad. By the time Maddy was done with half the dishes, the skin on her finger tips had turned wrinkled like resins. Maddy had done it for only two days and was already exhausted. She couldn't imagine doing it for another five days. The only good thing was that they only had to wash dishes after dinner. They didn't have to do the dishes after lunch.

"Why don't you guys just get a dishwasher?" Maddy asked as she glared at the cleaned dishes on the second day. "You guys have a private plane but don't have a dishwasher. How does that make sense?"

"We do have a dishwasher. We have several in fact," Jeremy replied as he scrubbed a plate. He still wasn't done with his share.

"Then why on earth are we doing the job of the dishwasher?"

"This is the punishment you get when you disobey the rules of the pack three times in a row," Alexa said. "I'm actually surprised that we didn't get like a month of washing duty. We have broken pretty much every rule in the rulebook."

Alexa was the only one who didn't seem to mind washing dishes. When Maddy asked her about it she just shrugged and replied that she was used to it. She got at least a week of washing duty every month because of her habit of breaking rules.

***

That evening, Justin called for a quick pack meeting. Once all the pack members had gathered in the meeting room, Justin explained to the pack members that Bruce was supposed to leave for Mexico the next day. He didn't get into the details of how he got the information but just told them the general gist of it. Once he was done, the Beta came forward and told them about how they were going to go about trapping Bruce.

"Everyone will be divided into two teams," the Beta said. "One team will stay back with me and defend the pack and all the pack members who are unable to fight just in case Bruce tries any funny business while the other team will be accompanying the Alpha and ambush Bruce. We have no information on how many rogues will be accompanying Bruce so every werewolf needs to be on high alert."

For the next fifteen minutes, everyone was divided into two groups. Maddy, Alexa and Jeremy were going with Justin while Xander and Leia were to stay back. After that some additional instructions were given to them as to when they would be leaving and other information. After that, the meeting was dismissed.

The five of them were just about to leave when Justin called them aside.

"You aren't going to try any funny business tomorrow," Justin said as he pointedly stared at them. "No following your own clues and definitely no putting yourself in danger."

Justin's voice had so much power infused into it that Maddy felt compelled to obey it. It was then that Maddy realized that Justin was using his Alpha powers. Previously, Maddy hadn't been part of the pack so she had never felt the full force of an Alpha command but now, but now that she was part of the pack, she could feel the full force of the Alpha command and she could now understand why the others were compelled to follow it.

Maddy woke up at five in the morning, the next day. Since Bruce had to catch the flight at nine and they weren't sure when Bruce would be going to the airport, they had decided that the safest thing was to wait for him as early as possible.

Maddy sleepily opened the door to her closet. After choosing the first shirt and pants she could get her hands on, she trudged into the bathroom to brush her teeth and get ready. When she was done, she came out to see that Alexa was sleeping on her stomach on Maddy's bed and seeing something on her phone while Jeremy sat beside Alexa in a much more decent manner.

On seeing Maddy, Alexa sat up. "You ready?"

Maddy nodded and then the three of them made their way to the club house. On reaching there, she saw that some of the pack members were already waiting along with a very tired looking Justin. Justin had asked everyone yesterday to wait near the club house and once everyone got there, they were all piled into several cars. Then one by one all the cars took off with Justin leading.

They had driven for about half an hour when all of a sudden, the car in front of the one where Maddy, Alexa and Jeremy were sitting, screeched to a halt. Confused, the driver, a werewolf who looked to be of about thirty- thirty two-ish years, lowered the window and stuck his head out to see what was wrong.

Suddenly, Justin's voice boomed in Maddy's head. 'I can smell Bruce nearby. I'm checking it out with some wolves. I'll call if I need help.'

After two minutes the car in front of them started moving once again. It would be suspicious if ten cars randomly stopped all at once, blocking the road so only two cars parked there to check and see if Bruce was around while the others carried on, driving at a slow pace so that they would be nearby if Justin called.

They had driven for a minute or so when once again Justin communicated through the pack link. 'Need backup. Now. There is a restaurant nearby and Bruce is inside with many rogues. I need everyone to get here as fast as possible.'

The werewolves quickly parked their cars and started running in the direction they came. It didn't matter anymore if the passersby thought that it was suspicious. Cursing the fact that she still hadn't mastered control of her superspeed, Maddy started running. Maddy would randomly get a burst of said superspeed and then it would disappear in a few seconds making Maddy stumble because of the sudden change in speed. As expected, Maddy was the last one to reach the restaurant. She didn't know why they couldn't have taken the car which would have saved so much of her effort but oh, well.

When Maddy reached the restaurant, she saw that the restaurant was a two storied building with a number of cars parked in front of it. She entered the building and looked around. She suspected that Bruce was on the second floor as the first floor was mostly empty, which was understandable since it was barely six in the morning. Other than the three werewolves who were making their way to the stairs to climb to the second floor, there was no one around. Someone must have cleared the restaurant. Maddy had barely taken a step forward towards the staircase when the door to the restaurant slammed shut.

 Maddy had barely taken a step forward towards the staircase when the door to the restaurant slammed shut