Chapter 20

The next morning, Maddy was woken up by her blaring alarm

The next morning, Maddy was woken up by her blaring alarm. Groggily, she woke up. It was seven in the morning and Maddy and the others had decided to leave by 7:30. Maddy took one look at the time on her phone and decided that she could sleep for another five minutes and then get ready.

When Maddy opened her eyes the second time, she saw that there were eight minutes left. Cursing, she hurried out of her bed. After a record breaking two-minute shower and nearly slipping in the bathroom once, Maddy managed to get ready a minute before 7:30. Taking her bag which she had thankfully packed the last night, Maddy hurried outside.

The others were waiting for her near the cafeteria and after a quick breakfast, they set off with Leia driving the car, much to Alexa's disappointment.

They drove for five minutes and when they were sure that they had convinced Justin that they had set off for their trip, they stopped the car to perform the spell.

Maddy took out the book of spells and flipped the pages till she found the one with the spell written on it. Since she was the one who remembered tooth-necklace lady's necklace the best, she was the one who was to perform the spell. Maddy took out a map from her backpack and spread it out in front of her. The spell hadn't motioned exactly what type of map to use so Maddy got both a world and a local one. She used the world map first and started reciting the spell, picturing tooth-necklace lady's necklace, how it hung from her neck and looked like a fake tooth but could very well be a real one, knowing tooth-necklace lady.

The moment Maddy finished reciting the spell, a white mist covered the map and when the mist cleared, Maddy saw that the map had zoomed in. The map which previously showed the various continents now showed a zoomed in version of North America and it kept on zooming in until Maddy could see the road they were in. A red dot appeared showing what Maddy assumed to be where they currently were and a golden trail started from the dot. Maddy couldn't see where the trail ended as it kept on going until it reached the edge of the map.

"I guess we follow the yellow brick road," Leia said as she started the car.

They started driving with Maddy giving the directions. The map seemed to be well-versed with all the roads for it took them on all sorts of short cuts. At one point, Maddy wasn't sure if the car would even fit as the path was so narrow but Leia, being an excellent driver, managed to fit it. Maddy noticed that as they covered more and more distance the dot on the map moved with them and they could soon see where the trail ended once they reached near their destination.

"It is like the og Google Maps," Alexa commented.

The drive took two whole hours and throughout the ride, they played all sorts of games they could to keep themselves occupied, varying from dumb charades to I spy. Halfway through the ride, Xander switched with Leia so that she could rest while he drove. The drive was fun to say the least since it was basically a road trip with your best friends although the destination wasn't your typical tourist destination.

When they reached the destination, Maddy was surprised to not find herself in a deserted forest-y area with one desolated, old building that was used to kidnap innocent humans and werewolves and sell them off to the dark market. That seemed to be Bruce's signature. Instead, Maddy found herself standing in a very busy street. There were tall buildings on either side of the street and cars were moving about.

Everyone was confused and worried. It was a very smart move from Bruce's end. It would be a hundred times harder to capture Bruce in the middle of the street. In fact, it was pretty much impossible to do anything to him. The public would definitely not react well if they just walked up to Bruce, knocked him out and then dumped him in their car like what they were planning to do. They would think that they were kidnapping Bruce which they were technically doing, but that wasn't the point.

Xander parked the car on the side and turned to Maddy. "This is it?" he asked doubtfully. "Elvira is here?"

Maddy glanced at the map once again to confirm and then shrugged. "Seems like tooth-necklace lady is here."

"You know you can call her Elvira now, right?"

"She is and forever will be tooth-necklace lady," she declared as she opened the door of the car.

"What do we do now?" Leia asked as she chewed her lip, once they all had climbed out of the car. "I can see Bruce," Leia said as she discreetly tilted her head to her right.

Maddy turned around and tried to find Bruce. It took some time as the place was crowded but finally Maddy spotted Bruce and tooth-necklace lady sitting around a table outside of a café. They looked like a completely normal father-daughter duo enjoying their day together.

"We definitely can't capture Bruce now," Alexa and after a small, rather dramatic pause she continued. "But we can listen in on the conversation and figure out what he is trying to do."

"We could try the disguising spell so that he doesn't recognize us," Maddy said as she immediately opened the book, remembering that she had seen such a spell on the book. "I've always wanted to be a spy. Looks like I can scratch that off my bucket list."

With the help of Google Translate, Maddy read out the approximate English translation of the instructions given in the book under that spell. "Keep a picture of the person who you want to become in front of you. Concentrate on the picture and then chant the incantation. To remove the spell, chant the incantation once again."

"Seems simple," Alexa commented.

Maddy looked around. "I don't suppose any of you happen to have a picture of a rogue?"

"We should disguise ourselves as random people on the street," Jeremy said. "If we dress up as rogues under his command and then Bruce askes us about something we don't know, we could get into trouble. If we are disguised as random people, we can just stroll up to a nearby table and listen in on his conversation with Elvira."

Maddy looked around and found a woman of about forty. She was the perfect person to be disguised as. Nothing about her stood out particularly. She wore neutral clothes and an aura that seemed to blend in with the crowd. If that woman were to pass by Maddy, she wouldn't have looked twice.

"If I click a picture of that woman on my phone and then use it, it counts as a picture, right?" Maddy asked as she showed the others, the woman she was thinking of being disguised as.

Leia shrugged. "Let's find out." 

"