》?《 Ren..? 》?《

Seconds turned into minutes, minutes turned into hours, hours turned into days.

Y/n couldn't handle the bundle of anxiety in their chest when they thought of the duel that awaited in the following days.

They couldn't even head into the city like they usually did to burn off steam, as they had been temporarily banned from leaving their room.

"It's for your own good," The old woman- Inizu had told them, "This is what happens to rule breakers."

But Y/n hadn't broken any rules, from what they knew.

What was so bad about the outside world?

During some hours of the day, Y/n found themself envying the people of Mondstadt or Liyue- free to do things without much repercussions.

The thought of Mondstadt brought Y/n back to the night in the library.

"Mondstadt is my home...Maybe I can take you someday."

All Y/n could do was hope that he'd keep his promise.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On the third day of being trapped in their room, Inizu had a guest.

Y/n could instantly tell who was, because the smell of Sakura blooms from the shrine had followed the woman.

"Auntie Miko!"

They quickly pushed themself off the floor, running over and nearly tackling the woman.

Inizu seemed worried, "Guuji Yae-"

Yae held up a hand, "It's fine. It's something they always do with me."

Y/n had hundreds of questions in their head, but they could ask none as Yae gently grabbed their hand.

"Your mother would like you to come to the dual."

"What?!" Inizu's voice was a bit loud, and she seemed to lower it almost immediately, "I-I don't mean to question the Shogun's choices, but- Y/n's a kid! Someone's dying there, and having them witness that would-"

"The Shogun says it's not your issue," Yae cut the woman off, "Y/n will be back in one peace. I'll be with them, and I'll make sure they don't see anything too bad for their mental health."

"Auntie Miko, what is...mental health?"

"I'll tell you when you're older," Yae took Y/n into her arms, turning away from Inizu and beginning to head towards the nearest exit.

"Now come on, we have a show we can't miss."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/n was surprised to learn it wasn't that far of a walk from their quarters.

They didn't even have to walk, since Yae was carrying them.

Of course, they had been forced to put a cloak over their head- "To make sure your lovely eyes don't blind anyone", Yae had told them.

But they had a feeling it was due to the fact no one was supposed to know they existed. The only reason certain groups knew, such as the soldiers and government officials, was because they were in the correct circles to recieve such information.

The guards standing outside of the Tenshukaku gave no glance when Yae walked past them.

The door was slid open, and then closed just as quickly.

'It seems the dual was about to begin...'

----------------------------------------------------------------

Upon entering, Y/n was instantly transported to their mother's side.

The cold energy that radiated off of the archon made Y/n's blood match, giving the child shivers.

They couldn't handle this- just seeing Ren with a spear and Matsuo across from him gave them a major fear.

Their hands went to their eyes the moment Baal called out for the duel to begin.

Metal on metal sounds filled the room, leaving little room for the sound of Y/n's thoughts.

Every so often they would peak to see what was happening, before quickly covering their eyes again.

A clang sounded through the air, and they uncovered their eyes, just to witness Matsuo shoving Ren onto the ground.

"No-!" Their voice came out cracked, and the attempt to try and run was met with Baal grabbing their arm tightly.

Things happened so quickly their brain didn't understand what they saw.

One moment they were staring at Ren about to be cut in half by the slice of Matsuo's blade, the next was a flash of light so bright it made even their mother shield her eyes.

Winds picked up around them, making parts of their (h/c) hair to wave through it.

Baal put a hand in front of Y/n's eyes, having to cover her own with her other arm.

The winds stopped as quickly as they came, and the first sound to break the silence was the sound of Matsuo coughing.

"What the- hell-!" He coughed, before his stance shifted back to an aggressive one, "Wait-! Your Eternal Highness, he's gone!"

"What?" Y/n mumbled, gently moving their mother's hand down to look around.

The place where Ren had been moments ago was now a puddle of dark liquid, but there was also the clear light of the sun shining down.

Baal gritted her teeth, snapping her fingers to gain the attention of the other guards.

"Search the area! He can't have gone far!"

----------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, Ren wasn't found.

Y/n had been forced to be placed back in their room, the only sounds of the wind to accompany their racing thoughts.

No one had told them anything.

Over the next few days, interactions between them and the guards were limited.

Every so often, Inizu would drop by to give food or books, but Y/n felt alone.

Baal never came by.
Yae stopped coming by.
Matsuo and Kazuo were ordered to continue guarding.

.......
"Promise you'll protect me-!"
"I already do that Y/n-"
"And yourself!"
.....

He would keep his promise, right?

----------------------------------------------------------

♡☆

Sorry for the lack of updates on my account! I got hyperfixated on FNAF, so I lost the inspiration for my fanfics. But here's the update you guys have probably been anticipating.
Have a good day/night! Don't forget to drink water and wash your hands!

☆♡