Part Four: The Escape

I took the picture from the frame and put it in my back pocket. While I waited for my father to finish threatening the group, I wrote him and Brenda a short goodbye and apology letter. I knew leaving was wrong but I had to do it and I knew they wouldn't support it, especially if it's with this group I barely knew.

I left the letter on Brenda's pillow and then walked out of the room. My dad looked like he had just left the pit, followed by a few others. I walked past my dad and he turned to face me, letting the men trailing him go forward.

At first we didn't say anything, just looked at each other. I felt extremely guilty but my mind was made up at this point.

"Are you calling WICKED?" I asked and he sighed, giving me a soft smile.

"I'm going to do what I have to do." He told me and this time I sighed. I knew he was going to say that, I was just hoping he wouldn't. I leant forward so that only he could hear me.

"I love you Dad, and I respect you and all the sacrifices that you've made for me and Brenda." I told him and he looked at me funnily.

"Where's this coming from?" He asked me and I shrugged.

"Just thought I'd tell you." I told him and he looked around before he pulled me into a gentle hug. I couldn't remember the last time that I had hugged him like this. I missed it. After time however, he released and left me standing there on my own.

Once My father's footsteps echoed away, I waited a few minutes before I entered the room to the pit. Quickly, I slipped inside and waited a little longer just in case someone was watching me.

Right as I walked in, I watched as Minho gave an attempt at pushing Teresa over to the wooden lever. It would have been smart if they weren't hanging from ropes. They had no idea I was there so I watched as the attempt didn't work again before I stepped in.

"That won't work you know." I said and they all froze like deer in headlights. "There isn't enough momentum to push yourself, much less someone else."

"So, what, you just came to rub it in while your dad calls WICKED?" Thomas asked angrily. "I don't get why you rescued us if you were just gonna get rid of us anyway."

"Hey, Thomas, shut up." Minho said flatly and I wanted to thank him for sticking up for me.

"Look, I'm sorry about all of that, but trust me when I say that it wasn't my idea." I told them and then paused. "I came to help you escape." I told them and they all looked shocked, all except Minho.

"Wait, are you being serious?" Aris asked and I nodded.

"Remember what I told you earlier about always meaning what I say? Now listen, the cost of me helping you is high so that means there is a price for this."

"Whatever it is, we'll pay it." Thomas assured, but I didn't doubt that.

"My only condition is that you take me with you." I told them and they all looked at each other as if I were joking. "Think of it this way. You guys don't know the Scorch like I do, you can benefit from me."

"Oh yeah, and what do you get?" Newt asked me.

"Freedom. That's what I get. Now do we have a deal?" I didn't think this was even a discussion, they needed me just as much as I needed them.

"How do we know we can trust you?" Frypan asked and I scoffed.

"Because, you only get so many people you can trust, you take what you can get. I would think that you guys would know that by now."
It was then when a loud voice boomed across the entire compound, making me jump. Then, spotlights shined down on us and I knew it wasn't good.